Community discussions

MikroTik App

lawa256
just joined
Topic Author

Max login attempts per ssh session

Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:53 pm

Hi,
I am trying to reduce ssh brute force attacks. I have implemented well known set of ipchain rules putting the attacker IP on blacklist, however it seems that mikrotik OS does not allow to set the number of login attempts for one single tcp session, resulting in many attempts until the IP is blocked. I would like to reduce it to 3 attempts per established tcp session.
Any idea?
thanks.

leoservices
Trainer
Trainer

Re: Max login attempts per ssh session

Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:42 am

You use these rules who are on the link below

http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Bruteforc ... prevention
I try to help !

Leonardo Vieira
https://youtube.com/contractti
Like Facebook.com/contractti

zervan

Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:38 pm

This solution is not working, because it is just limiting number of connection attempts from an IP. The problem is that attacker creates just single connection and using this he is using brute-force. I am using the mentioned solution, but still I see this - see screnshot.

Is it possible to limit number of login attempts per connection?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dusan Zervan from Slovakia
MTCNA, MTCRE

efaden
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:46 pm

This solution is not working, because it is just limiting number of connection attempts from an IP. The problem is that attacker creates just single connection and using this he is using brute-force. I am using the mentioned solution, but still I see this - see screnshot.

Is it possible to limit number of login attempts per connection?
Don't believe so... why not actually secure your router and use VPN etc to connect. It is generally a bad idea to leave services open like that. Or use port knocking, etc.

zervan

Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:47 am

Don't believe so... why not actually secure your router and use VPN etc to connect. It is generally a bad idea to leave services open like that. Or use port knocking, etc.
Yes, it is possible to solve it this way, but the question is: Is it possible to limit login attempts in one session? I thought RouterOS closes connection after a bad login, but it is obviously not.
MTCNA, MTCRE

efaden
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:49 am

Yes, it is possible to solve it this way, but the question is: Is it possible to limit login attempts in one session? I thought RouterOS closes connection after a bad login, but it is obviously not.
Hence the first part of my answer. I don't actually think you can control any of those aspects of the SSH server on routeros.

zervan

Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:47 pm

Well, what do the others think? Should Mikrotik change this behaviour? (disconnect after bad password) Or is it perfectly normal? I can write to Mikrotik support and ask them, but I'd like to know some opinions first ;)
MTCNA, MTCRE

efaden
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:55 am

Just restrict the service... That's what most people do. It's not advisable to have services like that publicly exposed.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:02 am

My suggestions are:

Change SSH port to one random like from 10.000 to 20.000 like 19273

Add on "available from" field the networks you aspect to connect from,
or make a script like if you knock on port 18453, 17263 and 13897 within 10 sec, scripts add that ip on "available from" filed and/or modify firewall filter for "accept"
I'm Italian, not English. Sorry for my imperfect grammar.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:23 am

zervan, I don't believe you are correct. The Bruteforce page explains how the IP will be added to blacklist for several wrong attempts. He can't "bruteforce from single connection", if password is incorrect, the users is disconnected. Make sure you have correctly implemented the rules from the wiki
No answer to your question? How to write posts

zervan

Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:43 pm

zervan, I don't believe you are correct. The Bruteforce page explains how the IP will be added to blacklist for several wrong attempts. He can't "bruteforce from single connection", if password is incorrect, the users is disconnected. Make sure you have correctly implemented the rules from the wiki
Well, maybe I have some mistake and maybe somebody will find it, here is it:

ros code

/ip firewall filter
add chain=input connection-state=established
add chain=input connection-state=related
add action=drop chain=input connection-state=invalid
add action=tarpit chain=input protocol=tcp src-address-list=blocked-addr
add action=drop chain=input src-address-list=blocked-addr
add action=jump chain=input comment="SSH" dst-port=2222 jump-target=input-ssh protocol=tcp

add action=log chain=input-ssh log-prefix="SSH brute-force" src-address-list=ssh-faza3
add action=add-src-to-address-list address-list=blocked-addr address-list-timeout=15m chain=input-ssh src-address-list=ssh-faza3
add action=add-src-to-address-list address-list=ssh-faza3 address-list-timeout=1m chain=input-ssh src-address-list=ssh-faza2
add action=add-src-to-address-list address-list=ssh-faza2 address-list-timeout=1m chain=input-ssh src-address-list=ssh-faza1
add action=add-src-to-address-list address-list=ssh-faza1 address-list-timeout=1m chain=input-ssh
add action=return chain=input-ssh
- it is just a piece of more complex tests (not only SSH, but also scanning, number of connections, etc)
MTCNA, MTCRE

zervan

Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:40 am

Oh, sorry, I was wrong. I have two systems with this solution and I showed log from the first and firewall rules from the other. The problem is that I have misclicked on the first one - used add-dsc-to-address-list instead of add-src-to-address-list :shock: I'm sorry. I will check it again (normally I have SSH disabled on firewall, I am going to enable it and see...)
MTCNA, MTCRE

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:08 pm

good to hear you found the issue. let us know if it works now
No answer to your question? How to write posts

zervan

Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:04 am

Despite my mistake it seems that this protection is not working as expected. Simple test: start Putty, try to connect to SSH using wrong password. RouterOS allows to guess password 6 times in one connection! So there are 6 log records about it and protection rules will mark it only as first attempt. This is why I wrote it is not working - if there are 3 phases, it allows 18 login attempts.
MTCNA, MTCRE

drakath
just joined

Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:44 am

I know this one has been stale a while; but I thought I'd add my 2 cents.

I was also looking for a solution to this and I found out the max login attempts as well as this article.

I do have a solution that I thought up that could reduce the amount of connects; so the attacker doesn't get 18 tries.

Alter the script and reduce the number of stages. 6 login attempts is more than enough, period (or at least I think so). I'd remove stage 2 and 3. Stage 1 is 60 seconds. I say that during this time any further connection attempts should be dropped and added to the blacklist. If you genuinely forget your password after 6 tries, well 60 seconds might have gone by, or make sure to wait. Doing this should only allow an attacker 6 tries and then he gets banned.

This is an alternate solution.

ros code

add chain=input protocol=tcp dst-port=22 src-address-list=ssh_blacklist action=drop \
comment="drop ssh brute forcers" disabled=no

add chain=input protocol=tcp dst-port=22 connection-state=new \
src-address-list=ssh_stage1 action=add-src-to-address-list address-list=ssh_blacklist \
address-list-timeout=10d comment="Added to blacklist because you tried to connect again after your first connection" disabled=no

add chain=input protocol=tcp dst-port=22 src-address-list=ssh_stage1 action=drop \
comment="Drop if you try again during the first 60 seconds" disabled=no

add chain=input protocol=tcp dst-port=22 connection-state=new action=add-src-to-address-list \
address-list=ssh_stage1 address-list-timeout=1m comment="First 60 second chance" disabled=no

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:16 am

If you can do not drop, tarpit or reply with network unreachable...
I'm Italian, not English. Sorry for my imperfect grammar.