Community discussions

jdee
just joined
Topic Author

RB951G and Devolo dLAN Ethernet over Power

Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:53 am

Apologies for the question but I am newbie to the world of Mikrotik just got a RB951G and I have for the most part got it all working apart from one thing. I am using a Belkin ADSL as a modem and have connected the RB951 and can access the internet with laptop, ipad, computer and Apple TV without any problems.

The issue I have is that I have a pair of Devolo dLAN500 ethernet over powerline adaptors connected to the RB951 (cant put new network cabling in). I cannot get access to the computer at the other end of the dLAN 500. I have tried setting fixed IP addresses and DHCP on the computer concerned but still cannot get access from or to the RB951.

The connection is through ether5 and I am hoping someone can tell me where I have gone wrong. If I connect the dLAN to the Belikn ADSL then I can get access to the remote computer without any issues.

many thanks

JD

plisken
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: RB951G and Devolo dLAN Ethernet over Power

Fri Nov 29, 2013 5:58 pm

Is ether5 in bridge and running you on ether5 a dhcp server?
Give your pc not a static IP but let's dhcp server on the rb 951G do this work.
Have you an connection between the devolo adapters?

scampbell
Trainer
Trainer

Sat Nov 30, 2013 2:19 am

First thing to check is connect the pc directly to ether5 and see if that works. If not then you will need to check ether5 is either bridged or switched into the network.

If it does work then reconnect the dLAN's and try again. If it still fails use the Packet Sniffer Tool on ether5 and see what the packets are doing.

Perhaps proxy-arp on ether5 might help - longshot though :-)

jdee
just joined
Topic Author

Sat Nov 30, 2013 2:02 pm

thank you folks - bridged ether2 to ether 1 and i now have access to the remote computer - steep learning curve but very satisfying when it works LOL

Just need to figure out how to get wireless IP camera to connect now.

many thanks

JD

jdee
just joined
Topic Author

Sat Nov 30, 2013 3:31 pm

Thanks folks bridged ether1 and ether2 and it now works - step learning curve!

Just have to figure out how to get my wireless ip camera to work now and then its all working

Many thanks

JD