Community discussions

MikroTik App

macleod52
just joined
Topic Author

Should I buy a RB750GL - Novice User

Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:34 pm

So I belive my old Netgear router is slowly dying. I'm looking at buying a replacement router and buying a WiFi AP. My brother has recommended MikroTik for the router and a Ubiquiti UniFi AP. The AP is not an issue as it's just that, an AP. It should be easy enough to set up. My issue has to do with security and buying/setting up a router/firewall. I have a lot of computer knowledge but networking is not a strong point. I haven't kept up on computer technology over the last 5 or so years either so I am kind of out of the game.

I'm looking at buying a RB750GL but due to my limited knowledge in networking I'm wondering if I should go with a more consumer model (Netgear, Linksys, etc.) router. My concern is I'm not going to set the router up properly and leave security holes or not set the router up properly. Since this is obviously a MicroTik forum I figured you guys would be able to better advise what I should do. Any help would be appreciated.

THG

Re: Should I buy a RB750GL - Novice User

Thu Dec 12, 2013 6:25 pm

My concern is I'm not going to set the router up properly and leave security holes or not set the router up properly.
Do not worry about that, every MikroTik router are properly configured from the factory.

I would buy one of the following products instead of a separate AP.

RB951G-2HnD
RB2011UAS-2HnD-IN