Community discussions

MikroTik App

radioguy1007
just joined
Topic Author

I'm in WAAAAAY over my head

Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:21 pm

Hi:

House got hit by lightning a few months back damaging router. IT friend said MikroTik is way to go now - so took his word and bought RB951G-2HnD. Looked at user setup app - wow this is way above my level of knowledge of routers. On old unit had DHCP setup to start at xx.xx.xx.100 and left lower addresses for fixed IP's on LAN. Also had a number of ports forwarded to security webcams and streaming server. I asked my IT buddy for help - now he's too busy for that. I don't think what I want to do is too complex - but where do I start? The old Linksys box was very simple to setup compared to this guy. My router knowledge is basic - so please talk in beginner terms. Even the IT guy where I worked looked at it and shook his head (but I don't think of him as being a real IT person). Thanks, Mike

rjickity
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: I'm in WAAAAAY over my head

Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:29 am

Hey Mike,

Lets start by confirming if you have internet or not. Have you managed to connect it up and get internet access? if you can could you please post an "/export compact" from the router. This can be done through telnet, ssh or via winbox or webfig by clicking on "New Terminal" and typing the "/export compact" command in.

radioguy1007
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:52 pm

I do have internet from the cable Surfboard modem but it is still connected to the partially dead router. My hope was to get the new one all set up on a locally wired port then just "drop in" the new one. Last night I did find the DHCP setup and got that set. I did find the NAT tab, but all I want to do is forward certain ports to local addresses for webcams. I will not have a chance to get to it tonight though for the requested report. Thanks, Mike.

cbrown
Trainer
Trainer

Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:45 am

With a basic networking knowledge QuickSet will be your friend. Have you tried it?

radioguy1007
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:54 pm

Well finally was able to spend a few more hours trying to get myself converted and online this weekend. Yes, I've started with quickset and was able to get the wireless up and functional direct though port 2, also able to set DHCP to block I wanted. So some progress. Connected RB951G port 1 directly to cable Surfboard modem show a WLAN IP address of 0.0.0.0 - but connecting a PC direct to that modem port shows it works, also existing router that I want to replace has IP address in same block. I only have one device connected to cable modem at one time - tried rebooting modem. Still WLAN only shows 0.0.0.0 on 951. I do not have a fixed IP from my ISP - but I should expect something other than 0.0.0.0 to show up?

rjickity
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:27 pm

have you added the dhcp client to ether1 where you are plugging into the modem?

cbrown
Trainer
Trainer

Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:02 pm

Post an export. Open up and terminal and type /export