Community discussions

MikroTik App

hendry
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Bandwidth monitoring

Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:34 am

I'm keen to monitor/graph bandwidth on my network. I was told to use Queues. First problem is that I can't find "queues" in the CLI, only in WebFig.

I think I correctly setup a queue to monitor my laptop.

(Ideally I would monitor ALL clients, not just my laptop)

The graph is very disappointing and practically tells me nothing. I want to see exactly how many bytes are coming in and out.

What am I doing wrong? Thanks!

hendry
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Re: Bandwidth monitoring

Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:26 am

I've discovered if I change the queue type from default-small (the default which doesn't work) to default, it works. Terrible UI/UX guys.

jt2048

Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:58 pm

There are 2 ways that I know of to do this, for real time, click on the interface in webfig and open it up, scroll to the bottom and you should have both a real time byte graph and a real time packet graph.

For non-volatile samples, set up graphing (webfig->tools-graphing) add all interfaces. Can be accesses from the interface graph on that page or best from webfig-> graphing (will pop a new window with a menu for all available graphs). Since the sample time defaults to 5 minutes it will take a while to populate.

Hope this helps!

JT

PS: And of course you can always set up MRTG and monitor all interfaces remotely via SMNP.

hendry
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:52 am

I need it more granular than interfaces. Preferably by MAC/IP address.

Thanks!

deejayq
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:46 am

you could enable snmp and use a third party site for monitoring ex www.odmon.com
it gives you a more granular graphic Hourly (1 Minute Average), Daily (5 Minute Average), Weekly (30 Minute Average), Monthly (2 Hour Average) and Yearly (1 Day Average)
i use this site because i don't want to write graphic data to the nand flash, and if i get power failures then the information is lost.

hendry
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:55 am

you could enable snmp and use a third party site for monitoring ex http://www.odmon.com
it gives you a more granular graphic Hourly (1 Minute Average), Daily (5 Minute Average), Weekly (30 Minute Average), Monthly (2 Hour Average) and Yearly (1 Day Average)
i use this site because i don't want to write graphic data to the nand flash, and if i get power failures then the information is lost.
Does it have a per IP break down though?

aacable

Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:11 pm

If you want some free solution, then design your own using Linux base MRTG, but it do requires Manual handwork, or more suitably it should be called artwork ;)

Try this.
http://aacable.wordpress.com/2013/10/31 ... base-mrtg/

another but wordpress coding ruined it a lot :(
http://aacable.wordpress.com/tag/mrtg-i ... on-ubuntu/