Community discussions

MikroTik App

Idowu
just joined
Topic Author

using hotspot to limit users to time of day & specific ports

Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:02 pm

Hello all!

Please, can I use hotspot to limit users to specific time of the day? Also, can I use hostspot to limit users to specific ports - so that some users will only be able to use email clients to receive mails.

Thanks!

ColonelSteveAustin
just joined

Re: using hotspot to limit users to time of day & specific p

Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:44 pm

Please, can I use hotspot to limit users to specific time of the day?
Answer: Yes you can-I.e.: using a radius server or use Mikrotik Users Manager.

Also, can I use hostspot to limit users to specific ports - so that some users will only be able to use email clients to receive mails.
Answer: Yes, you can make it setting up a firewall rule that allows some users in a certain IP address range to not send email.... There are many ways of doing it.You can setup the email address one user will have and based on it,implent the priviledges you want.

aacable

Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:15 am

Hello all! Please, can I use hotspot to limit users to specific time of the day? Also, can I use hostspot to limit users to specific ports - so that some users will only be able to use email clients to receive mails.
Thanks!
To control time, You can use either Firewall Rules combination along with specific ip pool, or as ColonelSteveAustin advised to use User Manager to restrict specific users/profiles.
userman.JPG
To restrict few users internet activity, You should assign them ip from specific pool like 'restricted_pool' and then create firewall rules that blocks all ports or dst EXCEPT allowed ports like tcp ports 25,110 or whatever.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Idowu
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:40 am

Thanks for the info. This is actually my first time of using mikrotik.

I have set up an ip pool and used firewall to limit users of that ip pool to specific time of the day.

I am yet to implement limiting users to specific ports. Do I have to create a firewall for each ports or can I just list the allowed ports?

Please, diagrams or specific step by step instructions will be very helpful. Thanks in advance.