Community discussions

MUM Europe 2020

Tahoe
just joined
Topic Author

Need help with first 951G Install

Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:23 am

Just received my new RouterBOARD 951G-2HnD. Am very confused. Do not know where to start. Have read most documentation. All say to load the version 6.10 Router OS then WebFig. The 951G has 5 ports in the back of it. Number 1 says (POE) 2,3,4,5 are empty. Currently I have (2) computers, (1) laptop, (1) Printer, & (1) Airport Extreme AP serving (2) iPhones, (2) Kindles & (1) TV. All are Static IP addresses from 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.xxx. I have no router, after the cable modem is a PIX 501 firewall. How do I down load the 6.10 RouterOS and WinFig if I have an iMac 3.2 I5, and want to use the 951G as my full time router, and replace the PIX. I have no Serial Ports, so where do I plug in the cables. Question is it Cable modem ( Cat6 ) into 951G ( Port 1 ) and Cable ( Cat6 )from ( Port 2 ) to Internet port 1G on the iMac. From there the Ip address of the iMac is 192.168.1.4. Do I use this address to download net install then the RouterOS and then WebFig. Please is this the procedure I should do to get started, then once all settings are completed, replace the cable from the iMac into the Eight port GB switch. I appreciate any help at all. Thanks in advance.

NAB
Trainer
Trainer

Re: Need help with first 951G Install

Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:18 pm

Just received my new RouterBOARD 951G-2HnD. Am very confused.
From reading your post, I too am very confused. I think the thing you need to get clear in your head is what, exactly do you expect/want the RouterBoard to do? From your description, it seems that you just want to use it as a switch - if that is the case, save yourself a lot of hassle and just buy a switch. If that's not what you want, then please provide as much information about what you need as possible and, preferably, a network diagram.
Nicholas Barnes BSc(hons)
Certified Mikrotik Consultant
Certified Mikrotik Trainer

Vitell - Asterisk, Linux and network consultants
Unofficial IRC channel: #routerboard on irc.z.je

Tahoe
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:51 pm

Thank you for the reply. I thought I had presented my problem clearly, until I just reread it. I currently have a 16 port GB switch, a separate firewall, a wireless AP, and do not have a router. That Is why I purchased the 951G, I only have a Cisco Pix 501 firewall that is a decade and a half old technology. This Pix I want to replace with a router to maintain my current static addresses, assign the next address in line when I add a new device, and have basic firewall protection. From Comcast Internet into Motorola SB6141 into Cisco Pix 501 firewall into Cisco 16 port Gb switch, from there into various computers and printers. My wireless comes from an Apple Airport Extreme (.ac). My real question was how do I access the router with my current setup. I now realize that I have to cable from SB6141 into 951G and then into a PC. From there I need to download WinBox and setup the router. Is this correct. I have a small home network, and could use some basic help with setting up the router to keep what I have, meaning all devices using static address from 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.xxx. Again thanks for the reply, and I will appreciate any help at all, and will try any suggestions.

mmv
Trainer
Trainer

Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:52 pm

I see 2 way for first step.
1. temporary change ethernet IP of iMac (or notebook) to 192.168.88.2/24, connect to any ethernet port of router, except 1 (poe), and open in brauser 192.168.88.1 (default mikrotik IP)
2. Install crossover or wine, download winbox from mikrotik.com, connect to any ethernet port of router, except 1 (poe), start winbox, and search for router and connect by MAC protocol.

Second way may be more flexible, but require higher MacOS knowledge (what is platform of your Mac x86 or not and how to use crossover) and crossover cost money.

After this You can configure Mikrotik as replacement of PIX router.
Mikhail Moskalev

Tahoe
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:59 pm

Thank you very much for the reply. I am still not working, but have progressed. I cannot connect to the internet from this router. This is what I have done. From wall ISP into Motorola SB6141 modem, into the RB951G-2HnD directly into a windows laptop, that I have set to DHCP. Port 1 is the modem cable and port 2 is the laptop cable. I do connect with no problem into WinBox and can look at at the various settings. The ipconfig says laptop address is 192.168.88.254. Once I exit from WinBox, I cannot connect at all to the internet. I thought that there is a basic working script that would let me connect to the internet with no changes, and then customize for a particular user. From WinBox ( Terminal ) I can ping 192.168.88.1 but no other addresses. Any help will be greatly appreciated, as I have been trying for days now and have finally realized the meaning of the word insanity.

mmv
Trainer
Trainer

Sat Mar 15, 2014 2:57 pm

To reply on Your current question, need to know how PIX router get access to internet.
You can know it or get from current pix configuration, or ask Your ISP.

May be static ip configuration for Ether1 required, may be required establishing PPPoE connection from router, may be many other things ....
Mikhail Moskalev