MikroTik App

Hondjie
just joined
Topic Author

User Management Question on a WISP

Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:35 pm

Good Day all,

Firstly this is my first post here so hi, looks like a cool place :lol:
Anyway, down to the business. I want to start a new venture in my area with a WISP, which is more stable and reliable than the current Monopoly that owns the copper ADSL lines, I have found a company that provides fiber at a reasonable rate, I have done my research on the different wireless bands and the requirements for setting up a WISP.

I was thinking of using a MikroTik RouterBOARD 1100 AHx2, as my router from the incoming connections from my base station the obviously out to the fiber router.
My question is, where in this whole network would I implement use management? For instance, user x has a bandwidth limit of 4 Mbps, and user y has a limit of 2 Mbps but they're both connecting from to the same antenna on the base station so I obviously cant restrict the base station bandwidth. Would I need to setup a computer or blade server to run the user management, or can it be done in that router, if it is on a PC, is there any software you guys can maybe recommend?

Thanks in advance,
I have attached a pretty basic network schematic I plan on using but then once again I repeat very basic network diagram.

Regards
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

rahulmkhj
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: User Management Question on a WISP

Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:39 pm

RB1100AHx2 can be used for subscriber management as long as it can handle bandwidth & number of users you want to manage.

And for subscriber management software, there are a number of ways doing this. Depending on the features you may require, like printing prepaid vouchers, online payments, service plan types you want to offer to your clients i.e. unlimited/limited quota, time based plans, data based plans etc.

If you want it to be on router itself, you've only one option, User Manager, if it suffice your requirements. But, if you can install a separate server for that, you can use freeradius server. There are a number of subscriber management software developed on top of freeradius. One I've developed is called Access Manager. Link in the signature.

Hondjie
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:00 pm

Was having a look at that software in your sig. It actually looks pretty nice and simple to use. Thank you for that!

I would just like to know, so I can setup the router and everything as usual, then connect the RADIUS server to the router through one of the ethernet ports, and then configure the router use the RADIUS server for authentication if I understand the setup correctly?

Regards

rahulmkhj
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:03 pm

yes, you got it right. But there is a little bit more .. A detailed guide on how to setup everything is available here: http://accessmanager.in/toc.php

n21roadie
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:38 pm

yes, you got it right. But there is a little bit more .. A detailed guide on how to setup everything is available here: http://accessmanager.in/toc.php
Is possible to have both Radius Manager and Free Radius running on one network?

rahulmkhj
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:05 pm

Radius Manger?

n21roadie
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:52 pm

Radius Manger?
Radius Manager from http://www.dmasoftlab.com/

rahulmkhj
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:11 am

You should know that radius manage itself uses freeradius for AAA.

cicserver

Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:57 am

Radius Manger?
Radius Manager from http://www.dmasoftlab.com/
DMASOFTLAB i an excellent radius billing system. just once time license (which is way too cheap as compared to its features) its brilliant piece of coding :). I used few guides from Google and was able to setup complete billing system in my own premises :D no privacy issue of cloud or remote hosting.