Community discussions

MUM Europe 2020

gesaugen
Topic Author

Does RouterOS has in itself a torrent client?

Mon Jun 09, 2014 6:57 pm

Hi all, newbie and noob here :)

I'm looking for router with capability to download torrents with its OS or via plugins for that OS, in either way without PC, just router and USB HDD connected on it.
I was thinking to buy raspberry pi to do that task but as I would like new router with more QoS options and gigabit ports, I was thinking to buy http://routerboard.com/RB951G-2HnD

So, as I said, i'm noob. Maximum of my knowledge about networks is that I've flashed my Buffalo WHR-G54S with Tomato firmware (toastman fork) because of its default QoS setup and capabilities. In the end that didn't cause any improvement with lags on both online games on one pc as with streaming of YT videos on other PC.

So, for the whole package (torrent client, QoS, downloading on USB HDD and gigabit lan) - is it possible on RB951G-2HnD?
If not, what do you suggest? Even better QoS than my Buffalo is an option for me to buy mtik router with R.OS

cdiedrich
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: Does RouterOS has in itself a torrent client?

Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:20 am

No, RouteroS does not comprise a torrent client.
Considering your self-esteem on networking, I'd rather suggest some consumer range router for your application which will most likely provide anything a home user would need.
IMO RouterOS rather targets networking professionals, as it provides almost anything a real network guy would ever need - but pros seldomly if ever need torrent clients - and if so, they would never run it on a router (since a router is primarily made for routing purposes).
Also beware of QoS on RouterOS. This is nothing like "tick this option and then click here" but gives you the absolute power of managing each and every connection - as long as you know how to use the OS - and have exact knowledge of what you're trying to achieve.
There's nothing preconfigured.

Sorry for not having better news for you.
-Chris
Christopher Diedrich
MTCNA, MTCUME, MTCWE
Basel, Switzerland
Bremen, Germany

There are 10 types of people: Those who understand binary and those who don't.
There are two types of people: Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data

gesaugen
Topic Author

Tue Jun 10, 2014 5:34 pm

well i think it is really sad that this kind of router and OS for it doesn't aim for home users at least with some preconfigured setup. I mean, there's not much to loose with building an option for preconfigured profiles and ability to import users profiles into it :?

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:56 am

There is quickset for these cases already implemented.

cdiedrich
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:59 am

Right.
My statement that there is nothing preconfigured was related to QoS.
-Chris
Christopher Diedrich
MTCNA, MTCUME, MTCWE
Basel, Switzerland
Bremen, Germany

There are 10 types of people: Those who understand binary and those who don't.
There are two types of people: Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data

gesaugen
Topic Author

Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:32 am

well i don't want to be pushy but will there be an option for installing user addons to R.OS, like if someone like me wants to use just router for torrent dl/ul onto connected USB HDD so we can only upgrade R.OS with torrent plugin? It would be great feature... or like for small web page servers or home cloud or home theatre NAS... just think of all the possibilities ;)

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:23 pm

As I saw statements of mikrotik representatives in the past I can say that there will never be such option.

jdboily
just joined

Sun Apr 05, 2015 9:36 pm

Well cdiedrich,

I'm sure that the Mikrotik people are happy when you tell people like gesaugen that they shouldn't buy their product because they are not worthy enough. Thanks for setting him straight.

Clearly, he is not qualified enough to operate such a fine equipment and his intentions with it where impure. “Real network guys” would never stoop so low as to install a torrent plugin in a router. Last thing we want is the community starting to make 3rd party plugins for Mikrotik’s os and devices to accommodate a wider range of users and applications. What’s next? Amateurs and IT enthusiasts using routeros with the help of the community to learn about networking? That would be awful, if everyone knew what I know I wouldn’t be special anymore… :(

He definitely need to get one of those cheap 80$ or less “consumer range” routers. Wait… how much is the RB951G-2HnD? No matter… If Mikrotik would want their routeros to be easy enough to be setup by anyone, they would do things like implementing a “Quick set” section in their GUI or write a super easy quick setup guide on the back of their boxes.

What’s that? They did? Anyway, I’m busy. There is a guy who asked a stupid n00b question on another forum and I need to take the time to tell him to read the doc instead of giving him an answer.

jeremyh
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:23 am

I run transmission-daemon on a raspberry pi. It works really well. I save media to a NAS mounted with NFS but of course you can save to USB as well and use samba etc. to share it on your network.

RouterOS is not really the right tool for this job.

Zorro
Long time Member
Long time Member

Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:44 am

i heavily against torrent clients feats in networking gear, but like idea of plug-ins. its(along with API usage or MetaRouter)may boost usability and features/caps tremendously, since ROS closed-source and consumers can't do it otherwise and ask(and probably keep asking. thats Human nature)about features, implementing which company didn't had HR or financial resources, or time or intentions.