Community discussions

MikroTik App

lospo
just joined
Topic Author

WAN does not work

Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:06 am

Hi and good morning, i cannot configurte WAN on my new router :(

i have a lan cable from my ISP that work really good with a poor tplink router.

i plug the cable in the eth1 port of the router but nothing happend, router don't take any ip address, and in the ip section of the router is always in "searching..."

back my old tplink router and everithing work: dhcp, internet...

Can someone tell me where i'm wrong?
(should i use a crossed cable?)

tomaskir
Trainer
Trainer

Re: WAN does not work

Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:38 am

Most probably your ISP has your IP MAC-locked to the MAC of the old TPLink.

Simply try to change the MAC on your WAN port on the MikroTik to the MAC of the WAN port of the TPLink.
Unimus - configuration management, automation and backup solution
Mass Config Push, network-wide RouterOS upgrades, and more!

lospo
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:43 am

Thank you for the quick reply, i will try.

But for some test i attached a lot of device to my ISP cable (other routers, pc, voip phone....), and everything works, only the mikrotik don't work.
And i don't think that could be a MAC issue.

tomaskir
Trainer
Trainer

Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:49 am

Thank you for the quick reply, i will try.

But for some test i attached a lot of device to my ISP cable (other routers, pc, voip phone....), and everything works, only the mikrotik don't work.
And i don't think that could be a MAC issue.
In that case, troubleshoot like usual from Layer1 up.

Is the link even running - in Interfaces does the ISP interface have the running (R) flag?
In the "Status" tab of the ISP ethernet port, is auto-negotiation done?

You can packet capture on the link with Tools > Packet sniffer
Click the release button for the DHCP lease, and see if the DHCP server responds

etc...
Last edited by tomaskir on Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lospo
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:12 pm

In my opinion the ISP side is right (otherwise i cannot check/configure nothing) because EVERY other item works like a charm.

when i push RELEASE or RENEW IP ADDRESS nothing happends, the textbox are still empty.

(when i connect the cable on eth1 no leds turn on, is it right or is it an issue?)

tomaskir
Trainer
Trainer

Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:15 pm

In my opinion the ISP side is right (otherwise i cannot check/configure nothing) because EVERY other item works like a charm.

when i push RELEASE or RENEW IP ADDRESS nothing happends, the textbox are still empty.

(when i connect the cable on eth1 no leds turn on, is it right or is it an issue?)
As I mentioned before:

Login to the MikroTik using Webfig or Winbox and check:
Is the link even running - in "Interfaces" does the ISP interface have the running (R) flag?
In the "Status" tab of the ISP ethernet port, is auto-negotiation done?
Last edited by tomaskir on Fri Jun 20, 2014 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lospo
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:51 pm

i will check in a couple of hours, i have the router at my house.

I use the default configuration (6.15) and i set by quick setup "Home AP"

I will post the result of the check after lunch.

lospo
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Jun 20, 2014 3:57 pm

i hope that these photos explain better than my english :P
IMG_20140620_132838.jpg
IMG_20140620_132959.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

lospo
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Jun 23, 2014 2:09 pm

No one ? :'(

w32pamela
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:50 pm

Do a factory reset by unplugging power and holding in the reset button for while plugging in the power. Hold the button for about 5 seconds until the ACT LED starts flashing then release the button. Allow a minute for the router to reboot.

Go into the Quick Set page but don't change any settings. Just plug the ISP cable into port 1 and see if you get an IP from the ISP. If you don't then post a screen shot of the Quick Set page. Also contact your ISP and verify that they are providing a dynamic IP for internet or are they using some other method to provide internet settings to you. If you are using a cable or DSL modem then do a power reboot on the ISP's hardware.

Is your computer LAN set to get DHCP automatically? If you plug the cable from the ISP directly into your computer does your computer get an IP and Gateway from the ISP?

docmarius
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:13 pm

What about showing the status tabs, not only your settings?
Torturing CCR1009-7G-1C-1S+, RB450G, RB750GL, RB951G-2HnD, RB960PGS, RB260GSP, OmniTIK 5HnD and NetMetal 922UAGS-5HPacD + R11e-5HnD in my home network.

lospo
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:11 pm

Do a factory reset by unplugging power and holding in the reset button for while plugging in the power. Hold the button for about 5 seconds until the ACT LED starts flashing then release the button. Allow a minute for the router to reboot.
Done, this procedure was the first i've learned :D
Go into the Quick Set page but don't change any settings. Just plug the ISP cable into port 1 and see if you get an IP from the ISP. If you don't then post a screen shot of the Quick Set page. Also contact your ISP and verify that they are providing a dynamic IP for internet or are they using some other method to provide internet settings to you. If you are using a cable or DSL modem then do a power reboot on the ISP's hardware.
Done, but nothing happend.
w32pamela, docmarius: THANKS! i will post the screen in a couple of hours.
I asked my ISP (Eutelia, wireless service, i've got an antenna on my roof to get the internet connection, and they tell me that on my roof there is a Mikrotik hw that is configured to provide an ip address throught DHCP server. In their opinion there are the same hw on my roof and on my desk)
Is your computer LAN set to get DHCP automatically? If you plug the cable from the ISP directly into your computer does your computer get an IP and Gateway from the ISP?
Yes, and with my laptop it works fine, with my voip phone it works fine and with my old & slow tplink router it works fine.
I finished my ideas... :(

w32pamela
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Jun 24, 2014 4:28 pm

Yes, and with my laptop it works fine, with my voip phone it works fine and with my old & slow tplink router it works fine.
I finished my ideas... :(
What IP was assigned to your laptop?
Is you tplink set as a nat/router or bridge?
What IP does the tplink get from the isp?
Plug the ISP cable into port1 of your factory reset router and run /ip dhcp-client print in the terminal.
paste the results here.
What model routerboard are you using?

Telling us that everything works fine with your old hardware tells us nothing about the configuration of your old hardware. If you plug a cable between a LAN port on your TPlink and Port1 on the factory reset mikrotik does the mikrotik get an IP? If you move that cable from the Mikrotik to your computer LAN does the computer get an IP? Please provide IP numbers with your answer.

From the information you have provided the most likely problem would be that the WAN port of your new Mikrotik router is bad but from my experience this is very unlikely right out of the box.

lospo
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Jun 26, 2014 3:38 pm

Sorry for my delay, it was difficoult to do everithing... (and italy that lose with uruguay was not so good for me :'( )
What IP was assigned to your laptop?
Is you tplink set as a nat/router or bridge?
is can work only as router
What IP does the tplink get from the isp?
Plug the ISP cable into port1 of your factory reset router and run /ip dhcp-client print in the terminal.
paste the results here.
 #   INTERFACE   USE ADD-DEFAULT-ROUTE STATUS        ADDRESS           
 0   ;;; default configuration
     sfp1-gat... yes yes               searching... 
 1   ;;; default configuration
     ether1-g... yes yes               searching... 
What model routerboard are you using?
this one: RB2011UiAS-2HnD-IN
If you plug a cable between a LAN port on your TPlink and Port1 on the factory reset mikrotik does the mikrotik get an IP? If you move that cable from the Mikrotik to your computer LAN does the computer get an IP? Please provide IP numbers with your answer.
Yes, in this case the mikrotik take the right ip: 192.68.0.100 and the pc take the same ip when i plug the cable in my notebook

Sorry for my english and for my delay and thank you so much!
arcicane.jpg
status screenshot (someone asked for this)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

w32pamela
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:22 pm

The main problem I see is that every piece of hardware you used received the same IP, 192.168.0.100, even your tplink gave that ip to the Mikrotik WAN. That doesn't make sense.