Community discussions

dawie
just joined
Topic Author

Data usage monitoring

Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:58 pm

Hi, I would like to monitor data usage without using any user manager.

Take the following scenario: The client has a capped internet connection with wireless ap in his house. He doesn't want to be bothered about any kind of userman, he just want to connect and use his connection.
His family is also using the connection, so you have a PC, couple of laptops and a host of tablets and smartphones using it.
Now all of a sudden his data usage skyrockets and he wants to know where it's going to.
A lot of times we are blamed for being dishonest our that our radius is faulty.

I want to use for example a routerboard 951-2n as a wireless router to monitor the usage to see how much data each device is using, and if I can see what kind of usage for example downloads it would be even better.
Any idea on how I can do this, or just someplace where I can read up on it?

I posted on this earlier, but since that was some time ago I decided to do a new one.

Thanks

Kickoleg
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: Data usage monitoring

Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:03 pm

Use IP - Firewall - mangle for marking traffic to each device, And look at the counters.
MTCNA, MTCUME, MTCRE, MTCWE, MTCTCE certified

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:00 am

You can use simple queues for this purpose.

santa

Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:31 pm

Hi guys,

I need to start monitoring bandwidth used by clients on LAN side. This is DHCP Server based network. The problem doesn't exist in PPPoE based networks, because we can use SNMP to monitor traffic on client interfaces.

I have two basic ideas how to do that:
1. Use firewall rules for every client (in mangle, for example), one for download, one for upload, both with "action=passthrough". Then we can use counters on particular rules.
2. Use Simple Queue and monitor bandwidth usage using SNMP.

Any other ideas? I use PCQ and don't have plans to migrate to SQ. SQ are OK, but I can't set queue type and parent queue for them. Firewall counters are really easy to use but cpu/memory consuming. They also need some scripting for automating creation, I believe.

Regards!