Community discussions

MikroTik App

zaazz
just joined
Topic Author

Oops, set interface 0 to disable

Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:03 pm

Last night, rather late, after I told my teenager to go get some sleep I wanted to make sure he didn't lay in bed until 3am playing on his phone so I logged into the router and set the interface 0 (gateway) to disabled status without thinking.

It's also my DHCP server so now I can't route traffic through the network unless the devices are using my wireless router set to bridge mode.

Anyway, I have my desktop hard wired to interface 1 (or 2 I can't remember) and this morning I tried to connect using the windows desktop client and remember that it's probably not even getting an IP any longer. So I'm wondering if I can pick someone's brain on how to get that interface 0 back up without doing a factory reset on the router. I have quite a few port forwarding rules setup. While I could probably put them all back in again I'd like to save my config if possible.

Etz
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: Oops, set interface 0 to disable

Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:39 pm

Use Winbox and connect by MAC address (Actually it should find your Routerboard and list its MAC automatically) ;)

After that re-enable that interface via Winbox and all should return back to normal, no reset is required.

You can get latest Winbox from here: http://download2.mikrotik.com/routeros/ ... winbox.exe

zaazz
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:12 pm

Use Winbox and connect by MAC address (Actually it should find your Routerboard and list its MAC automatically) ;)

After that re-enable that interface via Winbox and all should return back to normal, no reset is required.

You can get latest Winbox from here: http://download2.mikrotik.com/routeros/ ... winbox.exe
That's the windows client I was using. But it won't connect. I don't know if it's because I don't have an IP or if you are saying that connecting via MAC address means I won't even need to configure an IP. Winbox always finds my router automatically but since I disabled that interface it's not able to connect. I appreciate the suggestions, any other ideas to try next after that?

kameelperdza

Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:15 pm

You can try to connect the cable to any other available ports.(that it if the router has more than one)

or you can connect with one of the devices that usually connects to your wireless.
But you will need to configure static ip address, then try winbox again.
or if you can remember the wlan address you can type it into the browser and navigate to interfaces and enable the device again.

joegoldman
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:31 am

and next time when making changes, always use safe mode! In this case, home router, no big problem. Imagine if you did this to yourself on a router across the country powering thousands fo people!!

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:45 am

It's also why on all my devices...
/system scheduler
add interval=5m name=autoriattivazione_ethernet on-event="
:foreach interfacciaTest in=[ /interface ethernet find where disabled=yes ] do={
 :log warning message=(\"Riattivata \".[ /interface ethernet get \$interfacciaTest name ]);
/interface ethernet enable \$interfacciaTest;
};
" policy=read,write start-date=jan/02/1970 start-time=00:01:00

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:12 am

For similar purposes I use netwatch checking responses from next hops and if failed it disables, waits and enables the port.