Community discussions

MikroTik App

ecylcje
just joined
Topic Author

Public IP for router via Wireless CPE

Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:45 pm

Hi,

Apologies for the probably very basic query. I've tried searching the manuals and Google but as I'm not sure of the name of what I'm wanting I haven't found anything.

I've just been provided a mikrotik sxt lite 5 wireless CPE from my ISP as a self install solution. It is currently setup to provide the LAN with DHCP IP addresses in the 192.168.88.0/24 range. I can connect to the internet just fine if I plug in a PC.

The problem I have is that I already have a Draytek 2860 router (which was connect by WAN port to the internet) that was( before I switched over) acting as the firewall but more importantly the IPSec server for quite a few other boxes round the world. If I connect the Draytek WAN port to the SXT Lite 5 I end up doing double NAT, with the Draytek no longer getting a public facing IP address, but instead getting a 192.168.88.X address, and then the Draytek servers out 192.168.90.X addresses to the home network.

Is it possible and how is it possible for the SXT lite 5 to not consume the 1 public IP address it has been given, and actually provide this address via DHCP or PPPOE to the Draytek 2860 WAN port? That way the Draytek can still act as the IP Sec server etc

Thanks again for any advice,

Chris

BobcatGuy
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: Public IP for router via Wireless CPE

Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:04 am

Best to talk to the ISP, they would be the one's that configured the CPE. Are you using the same provider as before? just new CPE equipment? I am assuming it is a new ISP, so that's where the issue comes up.

Email them and tell them your dilemma, and ask if they can route you a public IP. I would think they do not use a public IP on the CPE itself, but maybe they do, its hard to know since every ISP would have a different set up.

Best talk to the ISP and see what they can do.