Community discussions

MikroTik App

apchampa
just joined
Topic Author

New User - Handed down project

Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:27 pm

I have a MicroTik router connected to a DVR and then to a cellular connection (Sprint USB card).

Need to connect over the internet to the wireless card then to the DVR. Connectivity on the card seems fine, works in a laptop, can ping device, etc.

Can't tell exact model of MicroTik based on how the unit is installed in a vehicle (yes, this is in a vehicle for a remote camera).
Is there a way for me to find out the exact model? Looks like some of these devices are made by ordering a housing and then the board so curious as to what I really have here.

The WiFi part works but not the cellular. I connect to the router directly and no connection out for internet.

I'm wondering if the MicroTik needs an update for drivers or firmware. If so, how do I go update doing the update? I may be able to find out as I'm poking around in the router settings. I downloaded all the packages from MicroTik so I have those. I see a drivers section listed in the router and wonder if that is a different update than the router OS. Would I have to get drivers from Sprint? Then how to install them?

Yes, I'm asking a lot of questions. I wasn't in on the front end of this project but now I'm slated with getting it working.

I am thinking the router doesn't see the Sprint card at the moment. Is there a place in the router where it would show it being connected?

Thanks to all that can shed some light as I get up-to-speed on this.

****UPDATE 1: I logged on to the router via the web interface and updated it. I can no longer connect to it via the older version of IE that I was using but I can via Chrome. The router interface is completely overhauled so it looks like the update worked. I plugged the USB Sprint card back in to the USB port & connected my laptop to the router via network cable but still no internet access out.

jayd2k

Re: New User - Handed down project

Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:36 am

Can't tell exact model of MicroTik based on how the unit is installed in a vehicle (yes, this is in a vehicle for a remote camera).
Is there a way for me to find out the exact model? Looks like some of these devices are made by ordering a housing and then the board so curious as to what I really have here.
Try using the terminal via winbox/WebFig, SSH or telnet to identify the model:

ros code

[admin@router] > system resource print 
                   uptime: 1w4d3h27m15s
                  version: 6.17
               build-time: Jul/18/2014 15:14:29
              free-memory: 104.6MiB
             total-memory: 128.0MiB
                      cpu: MIPS 74Kc V4.12
                cpu-count: 1
            cpu-frequency: 600MHz
                 cpu-load: 27%
           free-hdd-space: 109.7MiB
          total-hdd-space: 128.0MiB
  write-sect-since-reboot: 14496
         write-sect-total: 472152
               bad-blocks: 0%
        architecture-name: mipsbe
               board-name: RB2011UAS
                 platform: MikroTik
[admin@router] > system routerboard print 
       routerboard: yes
             model: 2011UAS
     serial-number: XXXXXXXXXXX
  current-firmware: 3.18
  upgrade-firmware: 3.18
The WiFi part works but not the cellular. I connect to the router directly and no connection out for internet.
If ever the card is supported changes are low that it will work w/o additional configuration. So it's connected via USB.
I'm wondering if the MicroTik needs an update for drivers or firmware. If so, how do I go update doing the update? I may be able to find out as I'm poking around in the router settings. I downloaded all the packages from MicroTik so I have those. I see a drivers section listed in the router and wonder if that is a different update than the router OS. Would I have to get drivers from Sprint? Then how to install them?
The chipset has to be supported. What's the model/chip of the card?

You might have to upload some firmware to the router as well. To troubleshoot and see if the modem was detected check out the steps in the manual:

http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:Port

Once you know the chip that's on the card check the list of supported hardware:

http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Supported_Hardware

Here's the list of supported drivers being shipped with RouterOS:

http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:Driver_list
By 2016 total internet traffic will be 3x 2011