Community discussions

jessequijano
Topic Author

New Router OSX

Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:47 pm

Lets say i have a fresh zero config routerOS router that someone plugs into a routerOS router on my network. I want to be able to connect to via winbox and configure this router without ever touching it.

I winbox to the existing router and get a MAC telnet session to the new box.

from there what is the minimum i need in my config to connect to it via winbox?

lets assume i have the proper routing and firewalls in place on my equipment, or someone can connect to it via winbox locally once minimum config is in place.

WHY???

my issue is osx. Ive used lots of solutions (wine, prepackaged, parallels virtualized win7) but OSX never wants to find a mikrotik MAC address via the "..." discovery and when there is no L3 IP config present it makes new routers painful so my shortcut is to plug the router into a production router to setup minimal config and then connect directly from my mac with IP address.

OR.....

someone tell me how they deal with it I am using macbook air with latest osx

w0lt

Re: New Router OSX

Sat Sep 13, 2014 3:56 am

Are you using "Wine" to run win box?
MTCNA - 2011

" The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long After the Sweetness of Low Price is Forgotten "

lambert
Long time Member
Long time Member

Sat Sep 13, 2014 6:23 am

Wine or CodeWeavers or ... http://forum.mikrotik.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=63703

But!!!! You can't be plugged into the port that the default configuration thinks is the "WAN", Internet uplink. For most RBs that is ether1. You need to be plugged into a port which is on the "LAN". Otherwise the MikroTik's firewall will block you, no matter what OS you are using.

Also, on Mac OSX, you need be looking for the MikroTik on your active network interface. Discovery doesn't find devices plugged into the Ethernet port when you are using the Wi-Fi card to connect to the Internet. It is mildly annoying. Probably a feature of using windows code through WINE. I don't run an Windows boxes so I don't know how discovery works with multiple interfaces in Windows.

I can give my parallels windows VM shared network through the ethernet interface while OS X uses the Wi-Fi. Then Winbox in the VM discovers devices on the Ethernet while OS X has good Internet connectivity and the MikroTik isn't handing out bogus leases on my production LAN before I can get into to remove the default config.

So, If you are trying to find the MikroTik on your ethernet, try turning off your Wi-Fi until you get into the MikroTik. Once you put an IP on the MikroTik which you can reach from your ethernet interface, it won't matter since you can just enter the IP in Winbox and the OS will route the packet properly. It is just the discovery function which has issues with multiple interfaces.

joegoldman

Sun Sep 14, 2014 12:43 am

I use WINE in Ubuntu with no problems for discovery.

I even use Windows XP & Windows 7 in a VirtualBox VM and bridged adapter no problem.

The one thing to note though if you are plugging into your ethernet - the MAC discovery doesn't work until the Ethernet port believes it has a link. Windows tends to go into Link-Local mode and start accepting lower level packets where as my Ubuntu (for example) doesn't. I have to add a static IP (any static IP) to the port to force it to go into connection established before discovery will work.

I use my ethernet most of the time though into a 951-2n on my desk. The ports are switched/bridged so when I want to configure a new device I plug it into a spare port and auto-discovery picks it up.

jessequijano
Topic Author

Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:59 pm

Are you using "Wine" to run win box?
I have tried Wine im pretty sure i had the same problem with it

I use the "wrapped" application referenced above by lambert when using OSX (sometimes I get a MAC address connect option using the "...")

and I have win7 virtualized via parallels which only works with IP on layer 3.

jessequijano
Topic Author

Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:06 pm

So, If you are trying to find the MikroTik on your ethernet, try turning off your Wi-Fi until you get into the MikroTik. Once you put an IP on the MikroTik which you can reach from your ethernet interface, it won't matter since you can just enter the IP in Winbox and the OS will route the packet properly. It is just the discovery function which has issues with multiple interfaces.
Yeah I see this behavior with my setup also. Makes it annoying to be connected to the Tik and not be able to browse the net via WiFi to see example configs, how tos, etc....

Id rather not focus on OSX and local connectivity the example I gave originally should have an answer.

joegoldman brings up another point about forcing an ip onto the OSX ethernet interface I've had to do that before also.

lambert
Long time Member
Long time Member

Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:57 am

Lets say i have a fresh zero config routerOS router that someone plugs into a routerOS router on my network. I want to be able to connect to via winbox and configure this router without ever touching it.

I winbox to the existing router and get a MAC telnet session to the new box.

from there what is the minimum i need in my config to connect to it via winbox?
If you are okay with mac telnet to the new device from an existing router, all you need to do is add an IP address in your existing broadcast domain. We were all focused on getting you in without that step.

Since MikroTik's default configuration usually has ether2 in bridge-local with friendly firewall and neighbor discovery rules, or un-configured, make sure you plug it in using that port.

Something like:
/ip address interface=bridge-local address=X.Y.Z.{random unused number between 2 and 253}/24
Then you can winbox to the new device by IP address.

That's pretty much the minimum.

My config new routers network has a DHCP server. My method would be something like:
/system reset-configuration no-defaults=yes skip-backup=yes
[wait for reboot if needed (can't remember if that is ever necessary).  reconnect.]
/ip dhcp-client add interface=ether2
[wait 2 seconds]
/ip address print
Use the IP assigned by DHCP to connect via Winbox or SSH.