MikroTik App

Laki
just joined
Topic Author

tp-link AP and mikrotik

Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:29 pm

Hi All,
I need to setup 2 AP (tp-link wa5110G)
one for guest (only internet access) something like public internet and no access to LAN network.
one for local users (connect to File server and etc...)
I have MK RB1100AH and at the moment using only eth1 = wan and eth2= LAN.
Any help or guide how to achieve this or from where to start.

Quindor

Re: tp-link AP and mikrotik

Tue Oct 07, 2014 5:08 pm

I'm afraid you maybe didn't buy the right type of hardware. Your Routerboard can do it all, but I doubt the TP-Link's can.

Basically, you wish to separate traffic for 2 different type of users. Normally you would get 1 Access-Point, define 2 VLAN's (Public and Private) on your RB1100AH and couple each VLAN to it's corresponding SSID (PublicWiFi and PrivateWiFi) on your Access-Point.

This way you would be able to separate the traffic and have it only go to where it's allowed to go using routing and firewall rules in your RB1100AH.

Any routerboard (with wireless) would be able to achieve this, but I don't believe the TP-Link Access-Points can offer multiple SSID's separated with VLAN's.

Yes, you could use VLAN's and separate it on the ports and connect 1 Access-Point to each port but this would mean extra radio pollution and basically they would be fighting with each other to push each other out of the air.

My suggestion, buy a Routerboard with WiFi and use it to send the multiple SSID's! You can get several to increase coverage if needed.

Laki
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:13 am

We bout tp-links before Mikrotik, but I have one old linksys wrt54g witch i can use as well. Problem is that i can not buy new equipment this year (company rules) :-(.
So maybe some help regarding this ?
Thanks

JanJoh
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Wed Oct 08, 2014 1:15 pm

We bout tp-links before Mikrotik, but I have one old linksys wrt54g witch i can use as well. Problem is that i can not buy new equipment this year (company rules) :-(.
So maybe some help regarding this ?
Thanks
Well, you certainly have picket the wrong hardware. I agree with previous poster that this is not a good idea.

But, connect each AP to its own ethernet interface. Set up a separate subnet for each interface. Configure the AP's with the security settings you want.

Tell the RB to drop traffic from "guest subnet" to internal resources.
Tell the RB to Masq outbound traffic to internet.
Allow traffic from "Internal AP" to internal resources.

Laki
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Oct 08, 2014 1:51 pm

Thanks for info guys.
The offices are on 5 floors, each floor has about 400m2 with partition walls of 30cm thickness.
What wi fi equipment at each floor to buy? maybe some Ubiquiti Unifi or is some MK wi fi ? for same setup what I want to achieve now?
Thanks

Quindor

Wed Oct 08, 2014 8:48 pm

Thanks for info guys.
The offices are on 5 floors, each floor has about 400m2 with partition walls of 30cm thickness.
What wi fi equipment at each floor to buy? maybe some Ubiquiti Unifi or is some MK wi fi ? for same setup what I want to achieve now?
Thanks
With that much coverage area and floors you will need several access-points per floor to get good overall coverage.

Planning a wireless system for such a building requires good knowledge of how wireless works. The forum can certainly help you gather this information. But it's best your learn about it and actually understand it yourself before starting such a project. Maybe hire a professional help if you do not have the time to do this.

Mikrotik has Access-points which would be suitable, but maybe not the best form factor. Their new cAP 2n combined with cAPsman certainly makes a nice solution, sadly it's only 2.4Ghz and not also 5.0Ghz. If buying any new hardware I would certainly invest in 5.0Ghz (N or AC)!

Ubiquity UniFi would also be a good fit and does offer 2.4Ghz and 5.0Ghz. There is also other systems out there, you are mostly looking for a central controlled WiFi system with VLAN/SSID functionality.

Laki
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:15 am

With that much coverage area and floors you will need several access-points per floor to get good overall coverage.

Planning a wireless system for such a building requires good knowledge of how wireless works. The forum can certainly help you gather this information. But it's best your learn about it and actually understand it yourself before starting such a project. Maybe hire a professional help if you do not have the time to do this.

Mikrotik has Access-points which would be suitable, but maybe not the best form factor. Their new cAP 2n combined with cAPsman certainly makes a nice solution, sadly it's only 2.4Ghz and not also 5.0Ghz. If buying any new hardware I would certainly invest in 5.0Ghz (N or AC)!

Ubiquity UniFi would also be a good fit and does offer 2.4Ghz and 5.0Ghz. There is also other systems out there, you are mostly looking for a central controlled WiFi system with VLAN/SSID functionality.
Thanks for information's.

SystemErrorMessage

Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:28 am

Although not a recommended solution you can flash your tp-link device with openwrt. It will give you the options you need while you can also set to SSIDs and zone each of them seperately on openwrt with VLANs/different physical ports. Than set VLANs/different switched ports on your routerboard and set your NAT/firewall options for them to connect to internet.

The only downside to using openwrt with tp-link hardware is that you lose wifi and usb performance but you do gain a lot of features and more stability. I had this setup before using mikrotik 450G and tplink wr1043nd. I needed 2 seperate networks for security. Currently i've upgraded to a combination of CCR, asus wifi routersand managed switches.

If you're trying to cover a building using multiple APs my suggestion would be to try mikrotik's new ubnt like wifi solutions or you can try ubnt since hey have more choices for wifi.

If you still need 2 seperate networks but also have to cover a building with multiple APs, it would be better to use 1 wifi SSID but use radius authentication to determine the network the device would belong to i.e. unregistered for guest, registered for intranet.

ferkop1
just joined

Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:03 am

Hi, try to use hotspot, you can set different profiles and limitations for each user or group, only bridge all AP with ethernet or powerline adapters, it works perfect.