Community discussions

MikroTik App

noremacyug
Topic Author

need some traffic shaping help

Thu Jan 01, 2015 12:48 pm

so i'm having trouble figuring out traffic shaping. i've read multiple threads and guides but still can't get it going. i'm looking for pretty basic stuff as this is a home setting.

i have a 50Mb/5Mb connection and want to assign usenet traffic a low priority whilst giving amazon video streams, youtube, http, etc. priority over usenet. i'd also like to know which other traffic protocols (dns, icmp, etc.) should be given higher priority to maximize efficiency of internet bandwidth.

i'd greatly appreciate some help. i'm loving the RB2011UiAS-2HnD-IN and slowly trying to learn more about it.

thanks in advance.

SystemErrorMessage

Re: need some traffic shaping help

Thu Jan 01, 2015 2:22 pm

Take a look at queues and firewall marking. There are many examples on the wiki.

Arcee
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Jan 01, 2015 3:43 pm

I'm also researching this. Here's what I'm currently reading:

http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Basic_tra ... _protocols

noremacyug
Topic Author

Thu Jan 01, 2015 6:48 pm

I have looked at the wiki .......and threads...... and outside how-to's. That's why I'm posting here. Would like someone to help me walk through setting up a port based rule. Also curious about bridging and if I have to create one for this to function correctly or if I can use an existing one.

noremacyug
Topic Author

Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:04 am

i keep attempting different settings..... no avail.

noremacyug
Topic Author

Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:58 am

anyone able to shed some light for me? just wanting to make sure i can get everything i need working before my return period is up. if this doesn't work out, i'll probably go back to ubiquiti since i could manage to get the router to do what i needed.

thanks in advance

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:34 am

You haven't provided any details about what you have set and what you get nor what particular problems are unsolved. How can anyone help you without this?

noremacyug
Topic Author

Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:03 pm

true, i haven't. i was hoping someone could walk me through a port base rule for traffic shaping both upstream and downstream. this is some of what i had in my attempts to dynamically limit usenet traffic. i also have bridge-local which encompasses all the gigabit ports, the wlan and guest wlan as well as ether 6 which is label "master-local" (what does that mean). in that bridge i went to settings and enabled "use ip firewall".

noremacyug
Topic Author

Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:37 pm

Anyone mind helping out a stuck newb.

noremacyug
Topic Author

Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:15 am

No one then? I hate that cause I really like the product. But I know from time to time I'll need help. Unfortunately if I can't get some direction for a task as simple as this I suppose I'll stick with ubiquiti. I'm having better luck with support there and I feel the router is plenty up to the task. I just prefer the MT for its 1w wifi and the built in switch.

Thanks for the responses though guys, I appreciate the attempts.

noremacyug
Topic Author

Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:28 am

i decided to give it one more go before settling in on ubiquiti.... simply because i really like this router.

i finally have some luck and am making headway!!! would really like a little input if someone doesn't mind to help me further understand a few things. one of which is, how does traffic flow? for instance, if i want to shape upstream traffic, at what point does the shaping take place? on the input of the local lan port, the output of the local lan or on the input or output of the wan port? also, for my usenet rule, shown below, i chose a dst port of 563. yet it marks traffic in a manner that allows me to shape upstream and downstream traffic..... how does that work? in my mind it would only allow shaping of up or downstream, not both. obviously i'm wrong.

Arcee
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:08 pm

Are you googling? I've found a number of answers with just one search:

http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Bandwidth ... and_Queues

I would help but I haven't ventured too deep with this yet.

noremacyug
Topic Author

Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:52 pm

like I stated in my first post, I've read tons of threads and how-to's, even some outside the mikrotik community, (that's how I've managed to get it working). But they generally aren't dumbed down enough or aren't detailed enough for me to get what I want to know. I just want some answers now to better understand what's taking place.

Arcee
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:43 pm

like I stated in my first post, I've read tons of threads and how-to's, even some outside the mikrotik community, (that's how I've managed to get it working). But they generally aren't dumbed down enough or aren't detailed enough for me to get what I want to know. I just want some answers now to better understand what's taking place.
Here's how I learned:
http://www.amazon.com/RouterOS-Example- ... by+example

noremacyug
Topic Author

Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:56 pm

Here's how I learned:
http://www.amazon.com/RouterOS-Example- ... by+example
Nice! Do they dumb it down for people like me?

Arcee
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:04 pm

Ah... that depends... :/

noremacyug
Topic Author

Wed Jan 07, 2015 3:56 am

Thanks for sharing that. I'll likely pick it up because now that I know MT exists, it'll be hard going to anything else. Might as well start learning all I can bout routeros.

I have traffic shaping working and working well. Adding new rules and they all function as desired.

Still open to any advice/knowledge anyone cares to share on shaping though.

Elie
just joined

Tue Jan 13, 2015 1:18 pm

Basically if you hit up the Queues you can add a static ip for a username (only if u are using static ips ) and u can set the limit of the download and upload speed you can even add burst for it .