Community discussions

MikroTik App

NLS
just joined
Topic Author

Need to use a router to handle two independent DSL

Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:51 pm

Let me describe the issue.

I have two different DSL connections, one ADSL connection and a VDSL connection.
Both have static public IP (16 IP each), but I have utilized only the (older) ADSL for services.

Right now, they connect to the LAN independently.
My servers use the ADSL for updates, mail I/O and RDP.
My client computers, use the VDSL for general Internet access.

Originally I tried to use the old (but better) router on my ADSL to handle VDSL traffic too, by setting up the VDSL router to work a bridge.
This was not very successful, as it resulted in page timeouts etc.
I never found the real problem, although some googling resulted in that my VDSL router actually couldn't be used as a bridge reliably.

So my plan is to use a MikroTik router as my main gateway, be "free" from the two MODEM/routers currently in use (theoretically be able to upgrade etc. each of them without much interuption in services) and be able to satisfy this scenario:

- Use the MODEM/routers as such, as bridging doesn't work ok. Will need to set them up as "transparent" as possible (possibly like DMZ).

- MikroTik will to route specific internal traffic through specific MODEM. For example mail I/O from server will need to go from/to ADSL connection, update server will need to access Internet through the fast VDSL line, RDP also through that, clients will need to use VDSL only and ADSL only in case of VDSL down and things like that.

So is there a "how to" to help me with this scenario?

ebreyit
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: Need to use a router to handle two independent DSL

Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:39 am

Hi,
If the current modem/routers don't work well as bridges then I would suggest that you get some modems that do work well as PPPoE bridges, e.g. the Vigor 120 for ADSL and maybe a Huawei HG612 or similar for the VDSL (can also do ADSL if you just get two of these).

Trying to DMZ the the connection through to the Mikrotik and then route from there could result in chasing issues you can avoid from the start.

NLS
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:48 am

I understand what you say.
Anyway, I will see what I can do.
What about the rest of the scenario.

ebreyit
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:25 am

Policy Based Routing is what your after

http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Policy_Base_Routing Gives an example, just ignore the content idetifier and mark the packets/connection based on IP/port