Community discussions

MikroTik App

psyskeletor
just joined
Topic Author

Problem with initial config: openvpn, bridge and so on

Sun Feb 22, 2015 11:31 pm

Hi guys.

I am a guy coming from PfSense to RouterOS and while i am not a newbie sysadmin, routerOS seems very hard for me.
I bought a RB2100iL which has 2 switches: 5 x Gb && 5 x Ethernet.
I am triying to get used to it but it seems there is a lot of things that simply, i dont understand.

Bridging
I dont know why, but the connection between the Gb ports, where it is the main gateway, and the lan ports are connected using by default a bridge. Why????? I tried to simply delete the bridge and config everything and i always did on pfsense and i lost connection with the router.
As i did alway in my pfsense boxes with a bunch of network adaptors, only bridging if you want to "bridge" networks. But mainly you should do routing between the network interfaces. I dont understand why the lan ports are by default bridged to the gigabit ports.

Outbound openvpn

I am triying to connect to my remote vpn server using the 1194 udp and it simply doesnt work. From another network (using a 3g modem) it works. I accesed the running server and the port is open.
I also tried to connect to the management panel of my softether which use the 443 and it simpy doesnt connect.
Accessing a regular website using 443 work, so i dont know.

I really dont know how to deal with this RouterOS but after a weekend i am really considering that maybe is to much effort to deploy this machines instead my pfsense in my clients.

Thanks for your effors guys:

sergejs
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Re: Problem with initial config: openvpn, bridge and so on

Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:05 pm

Bridging
I dont know why, but the connection between the Gb ports, where it is the main gateway, and the lan ports are connected using by default a bridge. Why????? I tried to simply delete the bridge and config everything and i always did on pfsense and i lost connection with the router.
As i did alway in my pfsense boxes with a bunch of network adaptors, only bridging if you want to "bridge" networks. But mainly you should do routing between the network interfaces. I dont understand why the lan ports are by default bridged to the gigabit ports.
RouterBOARD 2011 has default configuration.
There are two switch groups configured, and then bridge is made between them. For 98% it allows to reach higher speed.
If you do not need default configuration, I recommend to run /system reset-configuration=no-defaults,
then use MAC-Winbox to access your device,
http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:Fi ... tup#Winbox
I am triying to connect to my remote vpn server using the 1194 udp and it simply doesnt work. From another network (using a 3g modem) it works. I accesed the running server and the port is open.
I also tried to connect to the management panel of my softether which use the 443 and it simpy doesnt connect.
Accessing a regular website using 443 work, so i dont know.
At the moment UDP openVPN is not supported by MikroTik RouterOS. It will be available and supported in the future.