Community discussions

MikroTik App

tomassp
just joined
Topic Author

Mikrotik router as Wireless access-point

Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:30 am

Hi. I'm beginner and this is first time I configuring Mikrotik router so please be lovely.

To configure other home-based routers as access-points, I just set SSID, password, disable DHCP and connect LAN cable from source to routers first LAN port not WAN. And all works fine, router is giving IP addresses from source router.
But now I need to make something like that with my new Mikrotik router. I have router with RB912UAG-5HPnD board and R11e-2HPnD card. Router is using RouterOS 6.27 and I connect to them using Winbox using router MAC address.
I was trying to configure using this tutorial - http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:Ma ... ireless_AP but I'm stopping at IP address step. I don't want that my router is giving IP addresses itself, I want that router is giving IP addresses which it takes from source router. Source router is a computer with m0n0wall installed system.

So, I will be very thankful if someone will make step-by-step tutorial for my wishes.

Sob
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Mikrotik router as Wireless access-point

Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:01 pm

I'm too lazy for detailed step by step tutorial, but it's very easy. If you start from blank config (you can get that using System->Reset Configuration, where you check No Default Configuration), you just need to configure your wireless interface as AP (see your link) and then create bridge and add all ports (ethernet and wireless) to it. And that's it, everything else is optional, even IP address (usually you want one for administration, but if you're fine with just MAC access, no problem).

tomassp
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:28 pm

You are god. This works. Thanks! :)

tomassp
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:22 pm

Thanks again for help, but there is now another problem. I was wondering that with Mikrotik router speed is slowest than with my old TP-Link router. Lower speed is not only in network but also in LAN. When I try copying something from my NAS to my computer via TP-Link, average speed is 6 MB/s, but with Mikrotik speed is 3 MB/s max. With TP-Link speedtest.net shows me download speed average 55 Mbps and upload 50 Mbps, but with Mikrotik only 34 Mbps download and 28 Mbps upload.
I was trying changes lot of settings, but nothing helps. Maybe there is specific settings that I need configuring.

Thanks in advance!

CelticComms
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:26 pm

Check your wireless settings and/or upload them for comment. e.g. Which channel width are you using? Are you supporting B/G & N or just N?

tomassp
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:16 pm

There is what I was configured and changed -

1. Wireless/Interfaces -> wifi - Mode: ap bridge ; Band: 2GHz-only-N (also tried BGN) ; Channel Width: 20/40MHz HT Above (also tried Below and only 20MHz) ; Frequency: current 2422 (was tried others (scanned for most unused in air)) ; Wireless Profile: any (also tried 802.11)

2. Wireless/Security Profiles -> default - Mode: dynamic keys ; Auth. Types: only checked is WPA2 PSK

3. Bridge - created bridge ; STP protocol set to 'none' because with 'stp' or 'rstp' speed is very slow. Priority is default: 8000 hex. In Ports tab I added wifi and ethernet ports and keeped default settings - for both Priority is 80 and Path Cost is 10, Edge: Auto, Point to Point: Auto, External FDB: Auto.

And there is what I was tried -

1. Wireless/Interfaces - > wifi -> HT - HT Tx Chains and Rx Chains for default is checked only chain 0, i was tried check both - chain 0 and chain 1. Also tried check only chain 1 for Tx and Rx.

freemannnn
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Mikrotik router as Wireless access-point

Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:48 pm

Can someone confirm the best setting for bridge stp. None? Or the other two?

ZeroByte
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:16 pm

Can someone confirm the best setting for bridge stp. None? Or the other two?
TLDR: It doesn't matter here

Explanation:
Bridge STP almost certainly has nothing to do with this situation.

Spanning tree is a protocol that is designed to allow redundant connections between switches and one link is automatically disabled until the primary link loses connectivity. The parameters all have to do with how the primary link is chosen and which link is a backup link. If this is just at a home installation and there is only one connection between ethernet and any other switches, then you are safe to just disable STP entirely.

In any case, STP doesn't affect the speed of throughput, regardless of the mode. Any changes in throughput on wireless when you changed STP settings are a coincidence unless your device is so close to 100% cpu that the last bit of resources required to run STP put it over limits....

As for the wireless performance - all I can say is that for some reason, I've never had as good of a wireless experience with a Mikrotik AP as with other vendors (especially Ubiquiti). I love Mikrotik, but somehow I feel like wireless is hard to get right with them and "it just works" with other boxes.

As for routing / bridging / tunneling / etc - Mikrotik is fantastic beyond words. I just haven't been impressed with them as a 2Ghz indoor AP. (point to point outdoor bridging works great with them, though)

Valerio5000
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:30 pm

you've enabled wireless multimedia, WMM settings of the wireless card?

tomassp
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Mar 12, 2015 3:44 pm

No, WMM support is disabled by default.