Community discussions

MikroTik App

niceguy167
just joined
Topic Author

Freeradius + Mikrotik Routers + Bandwidth Throttling and Data Cap + Paid Support?????

Thu Apr 30, 2015 12:08 am

I currently have 30+ Mikrotik routers in place. They are all running the current routeros.
I currently use Radius Manager 3.0 which is currently too much for our current needs.
They are all installed in retail shops and are there to just provided FREE Wi-Fi We are using Radius Manager on them as we don't want users to just get unlimited bandwidth and unlimited data. So the current method is they must create an account once they have a username and password they can log in and it will assign each user with a 2GB download/upload limit and 100KB UP AND DOWN bandwidth.
If they reach the 2GB cap then are then set to another package for the month which then slows the speed down to 25KB DOWN AND UP Limit.
With that being said it's a pain in the butt for people/customers to setup a account ect....
I would like to just have generic free radius where when the user connects to the wifi they get like a welcome page and something like McDonalds has where they just click agree to terms and access internet and the 2GB cap and the 100KB UP and DOWN is set.
I would think it should be able to just track there mac address?
Is there something out there that can do this? Or can someone give me a few hrs of paid support to help me get it going?
Thanks
Steven

reinerotto
Long time Member
Long time Member

Re: Freeradius + Mikrotik Routers + Bandwidth Throttling and Data Cap + Paid Support?????

Sun May 03, 2015 11:55 pm

Sounds like a typical "MAC-auth"-scenario, in which the MAC of the WiFi device is used for AAA.
This can be done using plain freeradius on a server; also to take care of bandwidth-control and volume limits.
Just searched around here on the forum (serach for mac-auth); looks like MTs hotspot can interface to it.
Actually I do it on OpenWrt, giving more flexibility for hotspot-setup, like integration of "Social Login" or injected banners etc.
In case of further info necessary, contact me by email (in profile). Im a good, old German engineer, also working as a FL.
Injected banners might be interesting for your clients, anyway.

Snade
just joined

Re: Freeradius + Mikrotik Routers + Bandwidth Throttling and Data Cap + Paid Support?????

Thu May 14, 2015 8:15 pm

Sounds like a typical "MAC-auth"-scenario, in which the MAC of the WiFi device is used for AAA.
This can be done using plain freeradius on a server; also to take care of bandwidth-control and volume limits.
Just searched around here on the forum (serach for mac-auth); looks like MTs hotspot can interface to it.
Actually I do it on OpenWrt, giving more flexibility for hotspot-setup, like integration of "Social Login" or injected banners etc.
In case of further info necessary, contact me by email (in profile). Im a good, old German engineer, also working as a FL.
Injected banners might be interesting for your clients, anyway.
Hi reinerotto,
I would like to contact you but still doesn't have the permission to write PM's, or view your profile. Can you please contact me so we can discuss some HotSpot related questions. Ofc, as a freelance project/consultation (all paid).
My email is alex.petrov.snade at gmail.