Community discussions

MikroTik App

milonic
just joined
Topic Author

SOLVED - PPPoE on port other than eth1

Tue May 05, 2015 12:25 pm

Hi,

I can get PPPoE running just fine on eth1 but if I try and create a ppp session using, for example eth2, it never connects.

How can I get my RB2011 router to connect a PPPoE session on a slave port?

Thanks in advance
Last edited by milonic on Fri May 08, 2015 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Uqbar
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: PPPoE on port other than eth1

Tue May 05, 2015 12:41 pm

I also noticed that WAN (static IP address) needs to be on ETH1.
I fear there is some nailed in configuration... I hope I am wrong.

igpetkov
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Tue May 05, 2015 1:32 pm

I think that you have to change mac-address of port 2 and make it like mac-address of port 1, because maybe your ISP limit sessions by mac-addres besides username and password.

I recommend to swap mac-addresses of two ports.

To change mac, read this: http://forum.mikrotik.com/viewtopic.php?t=18305

I hope this will help you

milonic
just joined
Topic Author

Tue May 05, 2015 4:59 pm

Thanks for the replies.

Not sure that mac address change is the answer but I will try it.

What I do see is the system return a constant status of "Waiting for packets...." - like it's not even trying to connect.

One other thing is.... On the main "Quick Set" window on Winbox I see an option for specifying PPPoE and there the only ports you can select are Eth1 and SFP1 - I'd like to be able to select any port here. What I'm looking for is a way to do this.

Anybody?

pukkita
Trainer
Trainer

Tue May 05, 2015 5:15 pm

QuickSet is a "wizard" to do a quick setup for you, it has a limited set of tweakable parameters, as otherwise you could (if you knew how) set it up through winbox as you please.

what do you want to set up? a PPPoE client on ether2??

FWIW, ether1 is usually the port devoted to WAN because is commonly connected directly to the router's CPU.

A tip: use Quick setup and configure until you have a working router.

Once you achieve this, open a new terminal, and issue
/export file=MySetup
That file will contain all the CLI commands needed to setup a blank router to that same configuration. So you could edit it changing the parameters you wish, reset your router blank (no defaults) then paste all those commands in a terminal and get that new setup loaded.

To download, go to winbox, File, and drag MySetup.rsc to your PC (or download it through FTP from the router).

What are you trying to achieve?

milonic
just joined
Topic Author

Tue May 05, 2015 5:28 pm

I'm trying to get bonded broadband working via MLPPP

I have 2 bridged modems connected to eth2 and eth3 and I'd like the router to dial my ISP and make the bond - I also need this to be failsafe, so if one of the lines fails (which happens from time to time) the circuit will still be available.

I currently have this working perfectly on a Linksys WRT54 but I'd like to use the Mikrotik router because it's just better all round.

If there's another way of doing this then I'm all for it. Have tried the solutions here: http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:ML ... iple_links and http://tech.waynesimmerson.ca/Article/h ... outerboard but I cannot seem to get it to work.

pukkita
Trainer
Trainer

Tue May 05, 2015 10:55 pm

No need for MLPPP, there's another method, Load Balance + Failover, this presentation covers all the details.

milonic
just joined
Topic Author

Wed May 06, 2015 11:31 am

That's great and it's something I will look into once I can get a simple PPP session running on a port that is NOT eth1.

So, all I want to do is a now get a simple PPP session on one ADSL connection on eth7 port.

This is where I'm struggling and it's so basic is laughable.

Why is it not working?

milonic
just joined
Topic Author

Thu May 07, 2015 9:05 pm

Anybody?

Is this something that's even possible?

I just need PPPoE on a port that is NOT eth1

pukkita
Trainer
Trainer

Thu May 07, 2015 9:52 pm

Anybody?

The general procedure:

1.- (a) get ether7 out of the bridge (if added to a bridge) or (b) switch group.

a) Look in bridge > ports and delete ether7 if it's there.

b) Go to Interfaces > Ethernet, double click on ether7 and check on the General tab Master port is set as "none".

2.- Go to interfaces > Interface tab and click on the + button on the top left, a dropdown will appear, select PPPoE Client, in the General tab set ether7 and you're done, just need to fill user/pass on the Dialout tab.

ZeroByte
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri May 08, 2015 5:50 pm

Anybody?

I saw you mention "slave port" earlier in the thread.
Go into each port you want to use, and set master port to none. Slave means that the interface is only a member of a switching group at layer2 and not available directly as a router interface.

Once each interface is standalone, you should be able to configure as many pppoe clients on them as you like.
(or dhcp client, etc)

http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:ML ... iple_links

Note that your ISP must support it, but since you have it working with another router, I'm sure that they must support it.

For what it's worth, I recommend MLPPP over PCC load balancing a million times out of a million.
PCC is fine for balancing different ISP connections that don't know about each other, but it's a hack (maybe that's just my opinion) - it has several disadvantages compared to a true bonded connection, and it's a solution that won't be available in IPv6 once NAT goes away.

MLPPP creates one logical interface which will allow you to actually download at the combined speeds (PCC load balancing cannot download faster than any individual link), and is automatically going to handle it whenever one line goes down but the others stay up.

milonic
just joined
Topic Author

Re: PPPoE on port other than eth1 [Solved]

Fri May 08, 2015 6:06 pm

Thanks guys,

I did manage to fix this and it was, as you correctly pointed out, the slave issue. My initial problem was trying to take ports eth2 and eth3 out of slave mode but this didn't seem possible.

Using eth7 and eth8 was the answer and as we are only talking about 2 x 4Mb/s DSL lines, the 100Mb/s connection will be more than efficient for each line.

Once I removed the master port, everything fired up nicely.

I now have this box fully functioning, tested and in production. Even managed to get port forwarding and 1:1 nat fully configured.

The more I use this box, the more I'm beginning to love it. For the money, it's an amazing piece of kit. :D

Thanks again, it's really appreciated.
Andy

pukkita
Trainer
Trainer

Re: SOLVED - PPPoE on port other than eth1

Fri May 08, 2015 8:05 pm

Congrats! :)
For what it's worth, I recommend MLPPP over PCC load balancing a million times out of a million.
PCC is fine for balancing different ISP connections that don't know about each other, but it's a hack (maybe that's just my opinion) - it has several disadvantages compared to a true bonded connection, and it's a solution that won't be available in IPv6 once NAT goes away.

MLPPP creates one logical interface which will allow you to actually download at the combined speeds (PCC load balancing cannot download faster than any individual link), and is automatically going to handle it whenever one line goes down but the others stay up.
Thanks for the info!