Community discussions

MikroTik App

milonic
just joined
Topic Author

MLPPP connection problem if a circuit fails

Sat May 09, 2015 6:15 pm

Hi Guys,

I have bonded broadband working perfectly until I lose one of the circuits. Then, my RB2011 will detect this and state that only 1 link remains but I lose Internet connectivity.

Even when the 2nd line comes back online it still fails to connect to the Internet, the only fix is to manually stop and restart the session.

Can somebody please help explain how I can fix this or maybe where to look when this happens in order to debug it?

Thanks in advance,
Andy

milonic
just joined
Topic Author

Re: MLPPP connection problem if a circuit fails

Mon May 11, 2015 12:03 pm

Hi Again,

I have some more feedback about this issue.

Now, when both lines are synced and bonded on the RB2011 everything is fine, shows as 2 active links. If I reboot one of the modems, after a short while the RB2011 sees that 1 of the 2 links is down and adjusts itself down to 1 active link. Then, as the second line comes back, the RB2011 sess this and bonds them.....Perfect, works as it should.

However, if the modem simply re-syncs due to RIEN issues we have, this takes a much shorter period of time and this is where the problem lies.

I can see the RB2011 hasn't spotted the fact that one of the links is down before it comes back online and this causes us to lose Internet connectivity. It's as though it's trying to re-bond a circuit that has already been bonded.

Once I spotted it state that we had 3 active links, clearly a problem.

Is there anyway of increasing polling for the MLPPP?

Or maybe completely resetting the connection if one of the links goes down?

This is quite a problem for us as our lines re-sync several times a day.

pukkita
Trainer
Trainer

Mon May 11, 2015 12:30 pm

I'd ask your ISP for assistance about the issue, maybe with some parameter tweaking it can be fixed.

Are you able to fix the problem manually? If so, a netwatch script could be programmed to take care of the problem automatically, and I would also open a ticket with mikrotik if it's RouterOS fault.

milonic
just joined
Topic Author

Mon May 11, 2015 1:21 pm

Hi,

This has been working fine with a Linksys WRT54G running Tomato firmware for over 2 years now so I doubt it's an ISP issue.

If I stop and restart the PPPoE session manually it does fire back up again.

How would I go about detecting a loss of connection with a Netwatch script?

milonic
just joined
Topic Author

Mon May 11, 2015 7:38 pm

I have now created a scheduled script to restart ppp session should a connectivity issue be found.

I ping a remote server, but I'd like to ping the default gateway of my ISP instead.

What's the best way to obtain the gateway as a variable for the script - I could hard code this but it might change in the future?

I can execute ip route print value-list or ip address print and it's in there but I'm unsure of how to extract it from the string.

Can I run regular expressions within scripts?

pukkita
Trainer
Trainer

Mon May 11, 2015 8:52 pm

I don't think it's necessary, have a look at this script for ideas.

also Tools > Netwatch would be a better way to monitor changes, you can put the script there.

kevinds
Long time Member
Long time Member

Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:16 pm

I'm having the issue of a circuit failing, and the connection goes idle.

Doesn't matter how long I leave it, until I disable and re-enable the PPPoE interface, it stays idle.

If I change the interfaces from two, using Ether8 and Ether9, if I add Ether10, Apply, and then connect a third modem, it connects using the third, and everything works as it should.

If I then disconnect the new modem, either disconnect the Ethernet cable so Ether10 goes offline, or just the telephone wire from the modem, the connection just sits idle until I disable-enable the connection again.

Has been bugging me for a while now, I don't know why it does this, or where to look.

Ideally I'd love for a circuit to go down, and no noticeable impact to my internet connection. Maybe a second or two outage while it removes the circuit from the group, until it comes back online.

If a circuit goes down for any reason, the connection stays idle until that circuit comes back on, then it goes back to working.

If it can add one without issue, should be able to remove it after?

sam1275
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sat Aug 01, 2015 12:20 pm

Hi OP.
I have a similar problem post:
http://forum.mikrotik.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=97551
Sam