Community discussions

MikroTik App

zopper
just joined
Topic Author

How disable WebFig on public ip from LAN?

Thu May 21, 2015 6:28 pm

I'm forwarding port 80 to a server in LAN. From outside, it works OK, however when I use my public ip from LAN (http://my.public.ip), I get to WebFig. If I wouldn't get a reply, I would know I have to set up hairpin NAT, but even if I tried it, the hairpin NAT didn't help.

Disabling the www service for specific ip range can't help, because I would need to block LAN range...
Now, I'm clueless what to do to disable webfig on the public ip.

Thank you.

troffasky

Re: How disable WebFig on public ip from LAN?

Fri May 22, 2015 12:34 am

/ip service
set www port=20080
Doesn't really turn it off, of course.

zopper
just joined
Topic Author

Fri May 22, 2015 9:24 am

Thank you, troffasky. I still look for a better solution, though. Right now, I have local DNS entries with LAN address, so as long as I use only the domain and not ip, it works. But neither of these changes fix the issue, they only hide it.

G2Dolphin
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri May 22, 2015 11:34 am

/ip service set www address=192.168.88.0/24
This example restrict WebFig only for clients from default MikroTik LAN.

zopper
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:08 pm

Pinging this question up again.

The proposed solutions with limiting the www service to some IPs won't work, I wrote that in my first post. I would have to forbid access from my LAN range, but then I wouldn't be able to administrate the router through browser - I already tried to toy with this. Setting it to some different range is not a solution because:
1) changing ip to be able to log in into the router is a bad practice,
2) in my case, it is not even possible, as there is one more router between me and the gateway, and there are other users on it.

EDIT: And I see I forget to post, port changing won't help too - the router is still taking itself as the target, so any request ends with no reply.

troffasky

Wed Jun 03, 2015 2:36 pm

To confirm, even if you change the webfig port to [something other than 80], the router is still accepting connections on port 80? Tried a reboot?

zopper
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Jun 03, 2015 4:04 pm

To confirm, even if you change the webfig port to [something other than 80], the router is still accepting connections on port 80? Tried a reboot?
No. The router now listens for HTTP on the other port correctly.. The issue is I need to access a web server in LAN, but the router don't pass the packets - the only difference now is that when I go to http://my-address:80 from LAN, I don't get WebFig but a no-reply error, as the router still takes the packets like if they are for him.

Before Mikrotik, I had few SOHO routers and they all worked as I need:
- when accessing its LAN IP, packets goes to the router
- when accessing its WAN IP (no matter if from LAN or WAN), the packets are NATed and forwarded to a selected IP in LAN

I suppose this is a firewall configuration issue, but I was unable to find working rules.

ZeroByte
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Jun 03, 2015 5:48 pm

Disabling the www service for specific ip range can't help, because I would need to block LAN range...
Go ahead and remove any changes you made about restricting the port the http service listens on / the addresses it will respond to. The problem is in your nat rules.

I'm sure that your port forwarding rule has the criteria like this:
in-interface=WAN
protocol=tcp
dst-port=80
action=dst-nat
to-addresses=192.168.88.x

The thing that's tripping you up is that your requests to the public IP address are not entering via the WAN interface.
I very much prefer to use the interface method like this, but if you want to use hairpin nat (public IP pinholes from inside) like you're asking, then this rule won't work.

Change this rule as follows:
If your public IP address is static, remove in-interface=WAN and add dst-address=x.x.x.x (public IP address of your router)

If your public IP address is dynamic, remove in-interface=WAN and add: dst-address-type=local dst-address=!192.168.88.1 (private IP address of your router)

Finally, in order for the hairpin to work, you're also going to need this rule in the srcnat chain:
dst-address=192.168.88.0/24 src-address=192.168.88.0/24 action=masquerade

With all of my examples, I use 192.168.88.0/24 - obviously change these to match your actual addressing.

Happy routing!

zopper
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:27 am

Thank you, this works as I need. :-)

purana

Sun Jun 21, 2015 2:04 pm

Happy routing!
Thank you ZeroByte. This post helped me to configure this, and now it works exactly as you have described. I was working around it, but found this post and fixed it all up. I had to create a forum account to up vote your post and to say thanks.

ZeroByte
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Jun 22, 2015 4:08 pm

Happy routing!
Thank you ZeroByte. This post helped me to configure this, and now it works exactly as you have described. I was working around it, but found this post and fixed it all up. I had to create a forum account to up vote your post and to say thanks.
Thanks! I appreciate that.

purana

Tue Jun 23, 2015 12:09 am

Thanks! I appreciate that.
No problem, thank you for your post.