Community discussions

katit
Topic Author

Network scanner stopped working

Mon Jun 29, 2015 3:57 am

Ok, here is the deal. I have network printer/scanner. Long time. This is Dell 1815dn
On Windows PC I install driver and setup "scanner" access to this printer. Then, on printer I can scan to "Network", it finds PC and places scanned document into proper folder on PC.

Why Mikrotik? Well. All this was working before I installed Mikrotik router.

What happens now is. If I re-set driver/printer on PC - I can go in and scan into PC from printer no problem. But after some time printer "stops seeing" this PC. I have to re-initiate setup from PC side in order to scan.

Any pointers or ideas on why this might be happening?

docmarius
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Network scanner stopped working

Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:20 am

Unless you are routing between two 2 network segments and use a common WINS server, usually this has nothing to do with the router. Windows network protocols use LAN broadcasts for its discovery protocol and are thus restricted to a network segment.
One possibility is that your new setup inproperly enables (or maybe disables) IPv6, but this is a remote possibility, since you can browse the network correctly at some point.
Torturing CCR1009-7G-1C-1S+, RB450G, RB750GL, RB951G-2HnD, RB960PGS, RB260GSP, OmniTIK 5HnD and NetMetal 922UAGS-5HPacD + R11e-5HnD in my home network.

Van9018
Long time Member
Long time Member

Re: Network scanner stopped working

Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:52 am

ARP issue?

As a test, when you can't scan to the PC, then use the PC to connect to the printer's web interface. If the web interface loads fine, then try scanning again (as the printer would now know the PC's mac address).

Then finally in the Mirkotik you can go to Tools > Packet Sniffer and capture traffic. When you scan after the printer has been idle for 30+ minutes, you should see an ARP lookup.