Community discussions

MikroTik App

planetcoop
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

/64 IPv6 allocation with static and dynamic addressess

Thu Jul 02, 2015 5:54 am

I signed up for a hurricane ipv6 tunnelbroker and some ipv6 space. I have the tunnel up and the ipv6 subnet bound to an interface with ::1/64 on it acting as my gateway. The issue i have run into is making a a ::/64 address with advertisement which seems to work dynamically but i dont seem to be able to manage the client requests and static assigned servers take on the dynamic range as like a secondary address.

I have tried making a ipv6 pool and a dhcpv6 server but have not had luck assigning addresses from dynamic clients. Ideally i would like a few boxes to be static and a few random devices to be dhcp as i would expect an ipv4 network to work. I assume this is my lack of understanding with ND configurations and others related to ipv6.

Any help would be great. Thank you.

planetcoop
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Re: /64 IPv6 allocation with static and dynamic addressess

Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:13 pm

I have tried this configuration several times and still now luck: http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Setting_up_DHCPv6

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Jul 05, 2015 1:24 pm

DHCPv6 is not normally used for assigning addresses to dynamic clients that are configured in default way.

At my ISP, DHCPv6 is used on the link to the ISP to get the IPv6 address space and to request certain /64
prefixes out of it (I get a /48 at the ISP). In the MikroTik router I have defined a DHCPv6 client and a pool,
and the pool gets populated with my /48 space.

Then, when I assign an address to the ethernet interface from that pool, it gets the /64 space and a single
address from it is put on the interface. The clients on the ethernet request the address using RA (Advertise),
not DHCPv6.

When you want to set a static address on your client, just set it. There is no need to manage that with RA or DHCPv6.

planetcoop
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Sun Jul 05, 2015 4:49 pm

If i set advertise=yes ffor RA then my static machines also get an RA address which is not needed. So the static machines would be link-local, static, and RA. Any way to tell windows static and link local?

planetcoop
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Sun Jul 05, 2015 5:55 pm

i just found this command and it works great with RA and statics on windows:
netsh interface ipv6 set interface "Ethernet" routerdiscovery=disabled

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Jul 05, 2015 8:28 pm

In IPv6 it is quite normal for an interface to have several addresses. You should not worry about that.
But indeed when you want one client to have only one static address that is the way you can do it.
Remember that you have to set the default route in that case, and you will be in trouble when something changes.