ARP entries not populated

Thu Jul 16, 2015 5:17 pm

My current config is such that I have

CCR
/ \
CRS DLINK
/
UNMANAGED

I have the ccr set with ports 7 and 8 to be trunk ports. The DLINK(managed switch) populates the arp entries just fine. However the CRS only shows two entries in the ARP
[admin@Khaos] /ip arp> print 
Flags: X - disabled, I - invalid, H - DHCP, D - dynamic, P - published 
 #   ADDRESS         MAC-ADDRESS       INTERFACE                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       
 0 D 192.168.88.4    4C:5E:0C:02:D0:76 ether24                                                                                                                                                                                                    
 1 D 192.168.88.1    4C:5E:0C:02:D0:76 ether24
it is set up to switch traffic properly between eight VLAN's on the network, and is functional with DHCP and traffic flow. Devices are reachable, but the arp table is not being populated on the CRS.

am I missing something here?

sup5

Re: ARP entries not populated

Fri Jul 17, 2015 2:37 am

A switch doesn't need to learn ARP.

cthompson
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:41 pm

I get that it doesn't have to. that is very evident based on that it is working. However the question arises why does it not record said information as I have stated it to do?

is there a way to get this to start working?

troffasky

Sun Aug 02, 2015 12:33 pm

A switch won't learn ARP entries for devices that it doesn't talk L3 to. If you ping a device from the CRS [and assuming it actually responds to ping], do entries appear for them in the ARP table?

cthompson
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Sep 02, 2015 4:22 pm

FYI: I didn't change the system at this point but a controlled reset was performed. At which point the arp entries did start to populate.

RESOLVED