Community discussions

MerNion
just joined
Topic Author

2 subnets in same network with 2 DHCP servers, possible?

Sat Jul 25, 2015 7:22 pm

Hello!

I have a what might seem basic question but I can't think how to implement it.

I already have a home network (192.168.0.0/24) which has a mikrotik server and a dsl modem. The mikrotik is used just for Access Point functions and the dsl modem is the default gateway for everything (192.168.0.1). The mikrotik has a bridge interface (ethernet & wlan) with ip 192.168.0.2. All other computers in network are either with static IPs or from DHCP from the dsl modem. Everything ok here..

Now I want to make a new network on the second floor of the house on another subnet (i.e. 192.168.1.0/24), so the computers to be able to be isolated from the rest of the existing network BUT to be able to use the internet connection from the dsl modem that is on the existing network. I have a second mikrotik router to use on this new network. It has wlan and an ethernet interface. I can set up everything if they are to be used as a separate network, but when it comes to using the internet and adding a DHCP just for the 192.168.1.0/24 subnet, things get complicated.

How can I do it? Thanks!

satman1w
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: 2 subnets in same network with 2 DHCP servers, possible?

Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:02 am

??? Why would you like to use another router for that purpose ???

Just connect your second subnet to free ethernet port of your curren router and configure it the same way as the first one.
If you want those subnets to be isolated from each other, create a firewall rule and block the traffic between them.

regards

MerNion
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:53 am

Because this mikrotik server/router is also the Access Point, and it has to be on a different location in order to cover the second floor..

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:30 pm

When you want an access point that does not interfere with the network layout, just configure it as a bridge instead
of a router.

MerNion
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:18 pm

Ok but how can I make a DCHP to give IPs of different subnets acconding to which AP the user is connecting from?

lambert
Long time Member
Long time Member

Sat Aug 01, 2015 2:05 am

I don't see a problem with your original request. Just run ethernet from the WAN interface of the upstairs MikroTik to an empty port on the downstairs MikroTik. Run the upstairs mikrotik in the default config of a home or soho AP. Change the LAN IPs if you want so long as the IPs are different than the downstairs network.

Now upstairs is isolated from downstairs. Upstairs can access downstairs devices and the internet. Add firewall rules if you don't want upstairs devices talking to downstairs devices.

It is a very simple configuration.

MerNion
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Aug 10, 2015 2:01 pm

What about the DHCPs? Won't there be a problem if both mikrotik servers run DHCP server?