Community discussions

MUM Europe 2020

dawg
just joined
Topic Author

netinstall problem under Windows 8

Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:12 am

So, I'm trying to use netinstall, which I have used successfully many times before (Windows XP-7) with many different routerboards, but for some reason I cannot get this to work on this machine (Windows 8) to this router (CCR-1036-12G-4S). According to wireshark, the router is sending out a lot of BOOTP Boot Requests but netinstall never responds to them. I have a static IP set on the interface, an IP within the local netmask in the "Client IP Address" field, and the "Boot Server enabled" checkbox marked.

I have been banging my head on this all day. I disabled firewalls, virus scanners, I tried different versions, I tried different computers, I upgraded the RouterBOOT firmware using an XMODEM transfer, and I even tried it on a Linux box under wine, but nothing has produced any results.

Does this software work at all? Does it not work on Windows 8? Or Linux? Is there some trick to this that I'm missing?

plisken
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: netinstall problem under Windows 8

Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:24 pm

Look at my website en try again please
http://www.wirelessinfo.be/index.php/mi ... etinstalle

Use ether1

dawg
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:02 pm

On a CCR1036-12G-4S? It's marked that Eth12 is the boot port.
Last edited by dawg on Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:48 pm, edited 3 times in total.

plisken
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:07 pm

Try ether12
Goodluck

gabrielpike
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:13 pm

Just out of curiosity does this work on win 7 with the CCR1036-12G-4S? I just tried in my win 7 machine and could not get netinstall to work with the CCR. The router gets an IP but never completes the boot.
Gabriel Pike
MTCNA

dawg
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:57 pm

Here's what happens:

Settings on the adapter attached to the router (Others are disabled):
Adapter.png
Configuration on Netinstall, which is running:
Netinstall.png
Terminal after moving from Eth1 to Eth12, before automatic reboot:
Terminal-eth12.png
I'm sure that I'm doing this right, but it seems like something is fundamentally wrong with either the router or the newer versions of Netinstall are broken.

Trying to track down an old laptop that still has Win7. Most of these have been turned into Linux development boxes.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

plisken
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:24 pm

Can you try with serial connection?

Try this on my website
http://www.wirelessinfo.be/index.php/mi ... es/seriale

I hope this work

gabrielpike
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:40 pm

Yes. I am experiencing the same thing happening with the same router on windows 7. I thought the router was bad but then it happened on another brand new identical router. Now after your post I am convinced there is something wrong with netinstall and CCR1036-12G-4S. When I spoke to support about this they suggested the router was bad. I am beginning to wonder what changed to break this.
Gabriel Pike
MTCNA

dawg
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:55 pm

This is on a spare that I was going to swap in to replace another CCR1036-12G-4S that appears to have a corrupted installation of RouterOS. It is still running, but the DNS cache and web interfaces are toast. Upgrading by uploading packages through SSH failed to fix the problem, so this is plan B, after someone else recommended it.

I thought I'd use this one to verify that it worked properly before I yanked the other one and did the same thing to it, but since I can't reload this one, I'm worried. Short of ordering another router, I don't know what I can do to fix it.