Community discussions

MikroTik App

ivmreg
just joined
Topic Author

Two networks as one with MikroTik behind a second router.

Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:50 pm

Hello,

I have the following network setup, and although it seems very simple, I'm finding it difficult to set up.
Below is my current network setup:
network.png
My desired effect is to have the same "physical arrangement of connections and devices" (ports are not important, just what connects where) and a seamless "one network" experience.
As a "one network" experience goes, I want to be able to see the Media Server on the PC from devices connected to MikroTik.

The current setup is as follows:
Dlink Dir-100
* DHCP and DNS server, 192.168.0.0/24 network 192.168.0.200 is reserved to MikroTik by MAC
* 192.168.0.200 is in DMZ, o/wise Skype does not work if established from MikroTik side (what a wonderful hack :? )
* Routing established to MikroTik 192.168.88.0/25 network with 192.168.0.200 as gateway
* NAT, UPnP enabled

MikroTik
* configured as HomeAP, cable from Dlink LAN is inserted to MikroTik's eth1 (first port)
* Firewall Router enabled
* DHCP server, NAT, UPnP enabled
* only dynamically created routes present

In this setup I am able:
1. Access Dlink's LAN network from MikroTik LAN
2. Access MikroTik LAN from Dlink LAN
3. Have Skype workin from both LANs

I am not able:
1. Access/Discover Media Server on Dlink LAN from devices on MikroTik LAN

I can change any setting on both devices.

Please advise what's missing. It would be even better if it would be possible to further simplify the settings.

Thanks!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

b1863515

Re: Two networks as one with MikroTik behind a second router.

Fri Aug 14, 2015 6:08 pm

Have you tried to use the MikroTik as a bridge? (devices connected to MikroTik would get IP addresses from the DHCP server on D-Link)

vortex
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:04 pm

I think this may be a multicast problem. I have not been able to get Bonjour devices to be found unless they are on the same subnet. I did not find a way to forward.

ivmreg
just joined
Topic Author

Sat Aug 15, 2015 3:53 am

Have you tried to use the MikroTik as a bridge? (devices connected to MikroTik would get IP addresses from the DHCP server on D-Link)
No, I didn't, althouth this may be an option. Thing is, if there's a manual of some hints on how to do that correctly I would appreciate!
I think this may be a multicast problem. I have not been able to get Bonjour devices to be found unless they are on the same subnet. I did not find a way to forward.
It is, DHCP standard requires multicast, but afaik multicast does not go beyond subnet boundaries.

CsXen
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Sun Aug 16, 2015 3:52 pm

HI.
Are you on fiber with DIR-100 ?

If you can connect the Media Server to Mikrotik, you can use the DLink for gateway only (no DHCP enabled). In this case, put MTik's IP into DMZ, and make the remaining configuration in Mtik.

If you can't, you should configure MTik as Switch (in hardware or all interfaces into the same Bridge), and confige DLink to be DHCP-server.

Regards: Xen

b1863515

Mon Aug 17, 2015 7:56 pm

No, I didn't, althouth this may be an option. Thing is, if there's a manual of some hints on how to do that correctly I would appreciate!
Hi, you didn't mention which RB951 you have
RB951-2n Atheros7240 (switch ether2-ether5)
RB951Ui-2HnD Atheros8227 (switch ether1-ether5)

So I'll write this for RB951-2n because I have it at home.

1. don't lose access to your router so you don't have to use MAC address to config it
go to interface -> ethernet -> ether5 and set masterport to none
add an IP address which is DIFFERENT from the subnet your D-Link gives out eg. 10.0.0.1/8 to the ether5
add an IP address from the same subnet to your pc eg. 10.0.0.2/8
connect your pc with the router by cable to the ether5, you should be able to get to the router via WinBox

2. turn off all firewall rules
IP -> Firewall

3. turn off all DHCP servers on mikrotik
IP -> DHCP server

4. set ports ether2-ether4 as switch
go to Interface -> Ethernet -> ether2 and set masterport to none
go to Interface -> Ethernet -> ether3 and set masterport to ether2
go to Interface -> Ethernet -> ether4 and set masterport to ether2

4. go to Bridge and make sure you have one bridge eg. bridge-local
then check the Ports tab in the same window - make sure wlan1 and ether2 are added to the bridge-local

5. connect the cable from D-Link to eg. ether2 on MikroTik and then connect your PS3 to the Mikrotik eg. ether3
your PS3 should now get an IP address from the D-Link
Your wireless devices should also get an IP address from the from D-Link

Then you can add IP address from the D-Link subnet to the bridge (192.168.0.2/24) and add the ether5 to the switch - you'll get one more port and maintain access to your router from ethers 2,3,4,5 + Wi-Fi =)

I hope this'll help you