MikroTik App

kalzcosta
just joined
Topic Author

Change network distance OSPF

Sat Nov 28, 2015 4:46 pm

Hi all ,

Help meeee .... lol

How can I change the network distance to the specific gateway?

There are 2 ways to the same destination , and I need to give priority to only one way, and the second is the backup.

Unfortunately I can not change the interface cost.

ZeroByte
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Change network distance OSPF

Thu Dec 03, 2015 7:38 pm

How can I change the network distance to the specific gateway?
In the routing > ospf > interfaces tab:
add a new Interface, choose the interface you want to use as the backup, and set the cost to something higher, such as 100 or 1000. (in general, 1 = the fastest link possible such as 10Gbps, 10 = gigabit link, 100 = fast-ether, 1000 = 10Mbps)

Be sure to do this on both ends of your backup link

If the destination route you're interested in is an external route (redistributed into OSPF) then you may not actually see the distance change. Type 1 external routes will increase the distance metric in each router along the path, but type 2 external routes will not.

Type 1 means you should consider the cost of reaching the gateway AND the cost beyond the gateway. (thus your internal path cost is added to the original metric set by the ASBR)

Type 2 means you should only consider the cost beyond the gateway - so the path costs don't get added along the way. However, if there are multiple paths to reach the best type2 gateway, the path cost will be used to determine the best next hop to reach the best gateway.

kokaKorina
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Re: Change network distance OSPF

Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:00 pm

Hy ZeroByte
how should I change cost when I have just one interfaces(using unmanaged switches) that is connecting to two different routers .I ll attach an image for example and what would be a prefer way to change speed for all my pppoe clients If my routers are already using their maximum limit for speed and one link fails and it goes the other way for example(if 3 fails so two will go through 1 but one is already using all of its link speed) should i use scripts or anyother way,
But my main confusion is just one link used for two connections and how to just change their costs
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.