Community discussions

flynno
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

OSPF, MLPS/VPLS, PPPoE

Sun Apr 09, 2017 4:41 pm

Hey guys,

I need some advise on a new network design, I'm currently going with OSPF, MLPS/VPLS, and a PPPoE server on CCR router,
Clients use PPPoE client to get IP address when connected to AP's and radius server to manage queues, bandwidth and accounts etc...

I was told by an advisor that PPPoE is old and big companies are starting to phase it out and suggests that I use only OSPF and forget about MLPS/VPLS due to
been hard to troubleshoot and alot of overhead in MTU, but without MLPS/VPLS I cant use PPPoE for clients CPE's to control bandwidth and ip handouts.
I dont know any other way of controlling clients other that using PPPoE server and I'm confused as to if my advisor is trying to lead me astray so he can have control
over my new network.

I know that MLPS/VPLS is difficult to troubleshoot, but it performs better than using EOIP tunnels and I want to use the best standard for my network and be able to give
fast download speeds to my customers in the range of 10MB to 20MB if required.

Anyone have any suggestions?

IPANetEngineer
Trainer
Trainer

Re: OSPF, MLPS/VPLS, PPPoE

Sun Apr 09, 2017 5:20 pm

I would argue completely the opposite for a few reasons:

1) IPv4 address efficiency. PPPoE is the best at this as it hands out a /32 by default
2) PPPoE over VPLS is a validated design that works well and has its origins in the telco DSL world, which is why it's used by ISPs all over the globe - it's been proven as a stable and solid design
3) Customer accounting, PPPoE with RADIUS is great to track bandwidth usage and IP assignment.
4) If you're a WISP, the centralized bandwidth management that comes with using a BRAS has a number of advantages in providing a great customer QoE over RF. It deals well with the changing bandwidth in an RF network without any additional queuing in most cases. It also has extensions (if the BRAS supports them) to adapt dynamically to the current RF conditions.

It also provides an easier security model as you aren't worried about L2 isolation on a shared subnet like you have to if you're using a VLAN/DHCP model. Arguing the technology is outdated simply because it was created a long time ago is just plain silly. Ethernet was developed in the 80s' but nobody still uses that right? ;-)
Global - MikroTik Support & Consulting - English | Francais | Español | Portuguese +1 855-645-7684
https://iparchitechs.com/services/mikro ... l-support/ mikrotiksupport@iparchitechs.com

shaoranrch
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: RE: Re: OSPF, MLPS/VPLS, PPPoE

Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:33 pm

I would argue completely the opposite for a few reasons:

1) IPv4 address efficiency. PPPoE is the best at this as it hands out a /32 by default
2) PPPoE over VPLS is a validated design that works well and has its origins in the telco DSL world, which is why it's used by ISPs all over the globe - it's been proven as a stable and solid design
3) Customer accounting, PPPoE with RADIUS is great to track bandwidth usage and IP assignment.
4) If you're a WISP, the centralized bandwidth management that comes with using a BRAS has a number of advantages in providing a great customer QoE over RF. It deals well with the changing bandwidth in an RF network without any additional queuing in most cases. It also has extensions (if the BRAS supports them) to adapt dynamically to the current RF conditions.

It also provides an easier security model as you aren't worried about L2 isolation on a shared subnet like you have to if you're using a VLAN/DHCP model. Arguing the technology is outdated simply because it was created a long time ago is just plain silly. Ethernet was developed in the 80s' but nobody still uses that right? ;-)
Hi first of, great answer, to OP I highly doubt the knowledge of your advisor after saying such nonsense.

In any case could you please go a little bit further with point number 4, specially the RF benefits and how are these achieved.
Rafael Carvallo
Telecommunications Engineer

Need consultation?
Need a hotspot with facebook integration?
Send a PM!

Hablamos español, atendemos el mercado de latinoamérica visita nuestra página web:
http://www.tuproximosalto.com