Community discussions

MikroTik App

solukyuz
just joined
Topic Author

How to use IPV6

Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:32 pm

Dear friends,
We have mikrotik 1036-12G-4S router and we made bgp connection with our isp. Now we have IPv6 block 2a01:358:3800:X::/64 . I use to check internet connectivity by /tools/ping and it is ok(attached). I Create a DHCP server and my computers and Mikrotiks get ip address from Main mikrotik but I can't ping and get internet. (I only can ping devices.)
1)How can I give this ip address to my pppoe users.
2)How can I give this ip address to my local users.(Local Mikrotiks 10 pcs)

I was using by src-nat at ipV4 but I couldnt find any way for IPV6. Thanks for comments.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ZeroByte
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: How to use IPV6

Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:01 am

First - there is no NAT in IPv6 with Mikrotik, so realize that you'll need to route useable blocks to your customers - at the very very least, each customer will require a /64 but you should strongly consider using /60 or /56 as your base allocation per customer due to the fact that if the customers want to have multiple network segments, they're going to need a full /64 for each segment.

You can use dhcpv6-pd server on the PPPoE server and have the PPPoE clients perform dhcpv6-pd requests on the link once established.
This will automatically create the routes on your side.

I don't have any hands-on experience with IPv6 over PPPoE but I've seen several users requesting certain features regarding IPv6-related RADIUS attributes, so your mileage may vary.

My suggestion is that if you have no hands-on experience with the protocol, that you should start small and work your way up. Start by creating a test customer router that is connected without using PPPoE - create a static route of a /60 block for this "customer" and apply prefixes to some LAN interfaces on that router. Make sure those work. Once you get that working, move up to testing dhcpv6 and pppoe as automatic assignment mechanisms.

solukyuz
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:01 pm

Thanks for reply ZeroByte,
It is hard to find data about this subject on internet. I tried to do and spend app. 4 days on ipv6. I also apply your advice.

we have some public ipv6 and done bgp between us and our ISP. I tried to get internet by IPV6 and succeed.
1) I created a IPV6 Dhcp server on mikroik 1036-12G-4S and connect an access point. Access point get an IPV6 from Mikrotik server as could be seen at attached file.
dhcpconnectionok.png
2)I created a PPPOE server on mikrotik 1036-12G-4S and again I succeed to get internet. Could be seen at attached file.
broadbandconnection.png
I had below problems.

X1)When pppoe connection succed between mikrotik and access point. Ip address of <pppoe---aaaaa> shown "0.0.0.0" at pppoe active connections.
X2)When I try to surf on internet. I could connect only websites. Which has IPV6 like "google.com" "youtube.com" "mikrotik.com".
X3) I couldnt connect to IPV4 websites.
X4) I couldnt connect to my mikrotik by winbox. "Need any Firewall rule?".
X5) I could ping to IPV6 address. I can't ping ipv4. "Need any Firewall rule?".
X6) How can I give IPV6 specific ip to pppoe client. "Not from Pool".
X7) I have phone which is not support IPv6 so Icouldn't get internet and ip from this phone.
X8) How can I connect from IPV6 to IPV4 websites.

Please if you could advice . To give pppoe users local ipv4 address "172.16.0.1/16" and let them has IPV6 public ip address.(it is attached.)
pppoelocalipv4toipv6.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ZeroByte
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:12 pm

The answer to #8 is: you don't, at least not with Mikrotik routers since they have no form of NAT in IPv6, and no protocol translation functionality either.

Even with protocol translation (NAT64 / NAT46) you can't just connect to a host from v4 to a v6 host. There are some tricks you can do by mapping IPv4 space into a /96 prefix which routes to a protocol-translation NAT router (not Mikrotik) and then use some DNS trickery (DNS64) to return the mapped IPv6 addresses on hosts which have no AAAA in real DNS. But you cannot open a connection from an IPv6 host to an IPv4 literal address, and you cannot connect to an IPv6 literal address form an IPv4-only host.

IPv6 is a parallel universe as far as networking is concerned. They can both ride the same circuits at the same time, but there's no direct end-to-end communication between the two universes.

janisk
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:11 pm

also, PPPoE is not strictly necessary. In RouterOS you can use DHCPv6-client to acquire the prefix and/or address for clients.