Community discussions

MikroTik App

abheshek
just joined
Topic Author

ISP Network Extension to another city

Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:01 pm

Hello

we are a small ISP with 500 Customers but now we are extending our network to nearby city B which is 100 km away from HQ.

so we brought L2 PTP Transit from our upstream provider they provided us a physical port in each city.

now i am not much familiar with MPLS or any L2 Tunneling method .

Please guide me with VPLS setup & which one better BGP based vpls or MPLSVPLS ?

thanks
here is our current network layout
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Anumrak
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: ISP Network Extension to another city

Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:56 pm

VPLS can be build if you have your own LDP connectivity. If you don't, try EoIP tunnels.
Last edited by Anumrak on Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

pwuk

Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:14 pm

If you've been given a virtual ethernet cable then just treat it as if it was a real ethernet cable. There's a few protocols that may be stripped (but may not be - I've had both) -- lldp, LACP, etc, but the beauty of a layer 2 link is you can simply treat it as a 100km ethernet cable.

The Tier-1 ISP themselves may be using something like VPLS to provision you the circuit, but you don't need to worry about that as the customer. Plug it in and you should be able to ping 2.2.2.4 from 2.2.2.2 and 2.2.2.3. You should hopefully see City B appearing in the "ip neighbours" list on the core router.

When you run "ping 2.2.2.4" from 2.2.2.2, the first thing that will happen is that an ARP message will be sent out by City A's router on the core router interface - basically "who has 2.2.2.4". Assuming the core router has ports 2, 3 and 4 bridged, this arp will be sent to the radius server and city B. City B will respond "I do, my mac address is xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx", and then that will be installed in city A's arp table, and any traffic going to 2.2.2.4 will be sent to that mac address. The router knows that the mac address is on port 3, and forwards it off to city B.

Once you've got pings working, confirm that your MTU is 1500 bytes (do a ping with a size of 1500 bytes and dont fragment set).

amity2kare

Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:40 am

Hello

we are a small ISP with 500 Customers but now we are extending our network to nearby city B which is 100 km away from HQ.

so we brought L2 PTP Transit from our upstream provider they provided us a physical port in each city.

now i am not much familiar with MPLS or any L2 Tunneling method .

Please guide me with VPLS setup & which one better BGP based vpls or MPLSVPLS ?

thanks
here is our current network layout
I assume you're from India. I provide setup and support services to small/medium ISPs in India and can help with your issue. Please PM me if you would be interested in availing of my services.

sri2007
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:45 pm

Hello, if you already own a L2 PTP circuit between both locations, then it's as easy as understand that you have a simple cable between both routers, so you don't need to worry about any encapsulation to reach your remote location. Later you can create your own MPLS network over that circuit, and everything will be transparent for your provider.
MikroTik Support and Consultancy - Español / English +593 93 924 1262
https://www.safenet.ec/consultoria.html/ support@safenet.ec