Community discussions

MikroTik App

Kelob
just joined
Topic Author

Changing bridget network to RIP

Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:44 pm

Hello, I have a network bridget together. It looks like on the attached image (don't pay attention to the addresses at this time).
Should I change it into a routed network? For example a RIP routing with addresses like in the image? Or should i go into a OSPF routing?

16again
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Re: Changing bridget network to RIP

Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:02 am

Judging by IP addresses, this already is a routed network.
You can trade in static IP routing for routing protocol. OSPF is always preferred.
On small network like this, you can use rip instead, it has advantage of easier route manipulation (filtering summarizing etc)

Kelob
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:58 am

Thank's for the reply.
Like i wrote on the beginning - now it's bridged together, te addresses on the image are to demonstrade how i would do it.
The main question is - does it make sense for a small network to change bridging into routing?

StubArea51
Trainer
Trainer

Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:50 am

Hello, I have a network bridget together. It looks like on the attached image (don't pay attention to the addresses at this time).
Should I change it into a routed network? For example a RIP routing with addresses like in the image? Or should i go into a OSPF routing?
RIP is an old, slow and limited routing protocol. I would strongly consider OSPF instead.

Kelob
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:32 pm

I've changed everything into simple static routing. I don't have mentioned earlier - I have some ubnt radios and I can't configure OSPF routing on them.
In static routing everything works so far fine.

But one more question - is it normal that on the main RB which is working as a server, there are no entrys in ARP list? When everything was bridged, all devices where listed there.
Also in the logs from the connections every IP has assigned the same src-mac address which belongs to the interface of the next RB behind the server.

16again
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:29 pm

On routed network, MAC addresses don't propagate: each router strips the original MAC address, and uses its own MAC address when sending out the packet