Community discussions

MikroTik App

kd7vea
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

can my NAT configuration change my domain name?

Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:13 pm

I just have to ask here, because everyone I have talked to on the webserver side of things is stumped. The same day I set up my Mikrotik router, I had some issues with my website that I am hosting from home. I had to run a Duplicator plugin to rebuild the website, but once i did this, I had issues with the site URL. the domain name is utmesh.com, if I type utmesh.com into the address bar, it goes to the site, but it changes the address to my IP address. this could just be a huge coincidence, but I want to be sure before I keep fighting the server. could the MikroTik be changing the URL?

Sob
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: can my NAT configuration change my domain name?

Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:43 pm

# curl --head http://utmesh.com
HTTP/1.1 302 Found
Date: Tue, 03 Apr 2018 18:40:14 GMT
Content-Type: text/html
Content-Length: 140
Connection: close
Server: Redirector/1.0
Cache-Control: private
But utmesh.com resolves to 98.124.199.33, so either:

a) DNS config is wrong and you want to change the hostname to point directly to right target address.

b) DNS config is correct, but it's suppossed to be some kind of reverse proxy scenario and it doesn't work correctly.

kd7vea
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:14 pm

Okay, that is because I was checking a few things earlier and accidentally changed the DNS servers, I reset them back, but it could take a while to propagate.

joegoldman
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:19 am

Basically it looks like your DNS provider points to their own webserver, and they've asked you for location of your website, and instead of setting the A record appropriately they've kept the A record pointing at them and are doing a 302 redirect, directly to your IP. If you update the root A record to your IP address directly it should resolve itself.

This is a common service from big providers where its just DNS forwarding (as many call it) but in your situation you actually want the A record amended.