Community discussions

MikroTik App

in4ni
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

"Ring" Configuration

Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:19 pm

I have a client that has approx 7 locations currently using a Metro Ethernet at all locations. The setup is simple and has been working for years. Now my client has dedicated fiber between the sites in a "Ring" configuration. What is the best way to network all the sites together using only Mikrotik routers.. What is the best technique to use? they have 1 public IP network and about 5 private IP networks. im not sure and was hoping for some suggestions?

thank you

StubArea51
Trainer
Trainer

Re: "Ring" Configuration

Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:02 pm

without knowing all of your requirements, I would probably recommend using something like a CCR1036-8G-2S+ or CCR1072 in a ring topology and configure OSPF for routing and possibly MPLS if you have a need for Layer2 VLANs to go between sites.

in4ni
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:53 pm

That sounds like what i am looking for so i called iparchitechs and the sales person quoted me $2,500.00 - $5,000.00 to configure 5 routers! I think that is a little steep. The sales person also said i should use "Unicorn" switches instead of CC routers, I have searched the internet for them to no avail.

maznu
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:45 pm

i called iparchitechs and the sales person quoted me $2,500.00 - $5,000.00 to configure 5 routers! I think that is a little steep.
Your hardware is probably going to be a similar sort of expenditure. I'm not sure how much you're paying for your fibre ring, but I imagine there are ongoing costs for its maintenance, etc.

When you factor in time to gather requirements, build configs, any on-site deployment, "plug pull" failover testing, documentation for handover… I can imagine your project being several days' work. A few grand to have a professional setup your infrastructure — which is a one-off cost — seems pretty reasonable to me!