Community discussions

MikroTik App

bac522
Topic Author

BGP max-prefix-restart-time

Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:31 pm

We are having problems with our CPU's (all cores) going to 100% and causing our BGP sessions to flap. This in turn causes our upstream providers to dampen us fro 60 minutes making for a lot of unhappy customers...our upstream provider can not time the dampen timers.

I noticee that max-prefix-restart-time https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:Routing/BGP says to wait a specific time to establish a session with peers until after a number of minutes, but in lab testing it doesn't seem to work (at least with iBGP). Even when I set to infinity the peer immediately re-establishes.

Has anyone used this feature before? Is it just an eBGP feature. The Mtik docs are not very clear.

mrz
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Re: BGP max-prefix-restart-time

Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:59 pm

This parameter works only when peer was disconnected due to max prefix limit reached.

bac522
Topic Author

Re: BGP max-prefix-restart-time

Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:42 pm

Thanks, that explains why it wasn't working in my lab setup, thanks for the update.

Anyway to make BGP not establish a peering relationship right away if the CPU's are going crazy? It's causing our upstream providers to dampen us for 30 to 60 minutes. We don't what is causing the CPU issue and it's top of line Mtik CCR1072-1G-8S+ running latest software/firmware.