MikroTik App

northboy
just joined
Topic Author

OSPF Network - Looking for guidance

Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:35 pm

Hi All!
i believe there are 2 questions...
1. We have an extensive OSPF network for the backhaul network (RB1100's) and RB450G's for access at various locations. We have 1 internet gateway at the end of the network with a fibre connection. We are in the process of getting 2 more fibre connections (one in the middle and one at the other end of the network). I am trying to confirm what the best approach is in terms of load balancing and/or failover in the event we loose a PTP wireless link or a fibre connection at one of the sites.

2. In addition to this, I have a block of IP's that are forwarded to us from our upstream provider on the 1st fibre connection that i would like to distribute throughout the system with the other 2 fibre links. We currently assign those to our RB450G access router for customer assignment. However, with the other 2 fibre connections, how will this be affected? Could/should have 1 centrally located DHCP server and if so, how would the 2 new fibre connections affect that distribution?

I am not sure if I am explaining it right but any guidance is greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time!

sri2007
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: OSPF Network - Looking for guidance

Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:18 pm

Hi northboy,

1. The best idea is to use your OSPF network as an IGP and then complement this network with BGP (iBGP within your network & eBGP with your providers), then you can control the entire failover process (if a provider goes down or maybe one of your internal circuits goes down too), and you can do load balance by prefixes easily.

2. You can do this with the same BGP configuration that I've told you before, and you may be able to assign different public IPs to each customer through the entire network