Community discussions

MikroTik App

ubikrotik
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

packets lost inside VPLS but not outside

Sat May 12, 2018 5:28 am

we have a problem. We have multiple tower connected in a WISP. OSPF/MPLS/VPLS. This is strange, we lost packets inide vpls but not outside:

for exemple :
rt1 to rt2 = /29
rt2 to rt3 = /29
and so....

if i launch a ping from rt1 to rt3 there is no packets lost. That mean that the physical link is good. But if I ping a remote device wich is a part of the remote network (through the VPLS), we have a lot of packets lost +-10%.

any idea where i could search?

samsung172
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: packets lost inside VPLS but not outside

Sun May 13, 2018 3:03 am

You need to problem shoot all links between the VPLS sites. Do you use MPLS? - have you checked your l2mtu on all links? Its not common to drop packed in a VPLs, and not a regular ICMP ping or something like this. Is there anny different in recived packed MPLS compared to ICMP? - IF ICMp is good - and MPLS not - there is a l2mtu problem. if both have a proem - one of your links have a problem. Ethernet, wireless, or whatever you use to connect the sites.

ubikrotik
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Sun May 13, 2018 4:14 am

You need to problem shoot all links between the VPLS sites. Do you use MPLS? - have you checked your l2mtu on all links? Its not common to drop packed in a VPLs, and not a regular ICMP ping or something like this. Is there anny different in recived packed MPLS compared to ICMP? - IF ICMp is good - and MPLS not - there is a l2mtu problem. if both have a proem - one of your links have a problem. Ethernet, wireless, or whatever you use to connect the sites.

Yes I use MPLS. Yes i triple checked l2mtu on links.

Not sure about ""Is there anny different in recived packed MPLS compared to ICMP?"" can you explain?

If I ping the loopback address or the router address from the main router, there is no packet lost. Only if I ping devices that need to pass through the VPLS interface.

MPLS interfaces : 1560
VPLS l2mtu : 1550
PTP are (WLAN,LAN, Bridge : 2000

ubikrotik
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Sun May 13, 2018 4:18 am

we registered higher max latency when pingging devices that need to pass through VPLS.

and a lot of link down as well.

But once again. the pysical link is good since I have 0 packet lost from the main router to the tower's router.

NickOlsen
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon May 14, 2018 5:06 pm

Is this traffic crossing Ubiquiti wireless links?

spanogi
just joined

Mon May 14, 2018 5:43 pm

Hi!

Do you bridge your vpls terminations on ports/vlans?

ubikrotik
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Mon May 14, 2018 5:48 pm

to the main router, all vpls are bridged together. We set split horizon value to 1 for all vpls interfaces. But yes they are in the same bridge.

Yes traffic crossing ubiquiti wireless links.

spanogi
just joined

Mon May 14, 2018 6:03 pm

I had some benefits setting to "none" L2 protocols on the bridge. In other words, I de-activated Spanning tree on all the bridges (controlling loops via split-horizon).
Hopefully this could be helpful.

Regards

NickOlsen
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon May 14, 2018 9:03 pm

See this thread I posted a long time ago on the UBNT forums.
https://community.ubnt.com/t5/airMAX-Ge ... d-p/708575

Basically, The ICMP traffic isn't being properly marked by airmax due to the MPLS labels. This doesn't affect your pings directly from the router because it's not MPLS on the first hop.

Did you establish lobridge style loopbacks on these routers? If so, Do a ping to the tower with the SRC-address of the MPLS loopback. This should provide an MPLS label on your first "hop" in the traceroute. And I suspect you'll see the same high latency and loss that you do inside of VPLS.

ubikrotik
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Tue May 15, 2018 3:43 am

I will try it tommorrow!

Not just my ICMP ping affected. Voip and gaming to. I never had this issue before with my old statics routes.

thx.

ubikrotik
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Tue May 15, 2018 4:35 am

NickOlsen, your ubnt post looks like the exact same problem that i have. Did you find any fixe for this situation?

NickOlsen
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue May 15, 2018 4:41 am

To my knowledge, the 5.x airmax (The Non-AC M series) radios have never been fixed. The workaround we performed was installing different product (We used Cambium PMP450 for that link). I never tested the newer AC style radios.

From what I remember. Technically any traffic MPLS tagged (Like all VPLS traffic) should perform similar to the ICMP pings. So I would expect gaming and other traffic to see high latency and loss.

UBNT stopped replying to my emails regarding the support ticket. Seems like they have no plans to correct it.

ubikrotik
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Tue May 15, 2018 4:55 am

wow.

We have airfiber, prism radios and we still see some packet lost in vpls and higher latency then outside vpls tunnel. I think mpls/vpls was a bad bad move.

NickOlsen
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue May 15, 2018 5:04 am

Oh, No, I never saw these issues on the Airfiber line. It was specifically limited to the Airmax M series. So like the Nanostation M5, Nanobridge M5..etc. You can test by disabling Airmax. In my testing, Disabling Airmax caused the issue to stop. However it also hurt the performance of the link.

I never saw this on any airfiber link, Had AF24, AF5, AF5x, AF3x all in production worked fine.

Don't give up on MPLS/VPLS! It works really really well once it's running.

ubikrotik
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Tue May 15, 2018 5:35 am

we have a simple path here on our network :

main router ----- af5x--------af5x---------router2--------ap---------cpe.

There is a vpls from main router to rtouter#2 and still have lost packets. If I ping the router2 from the main router. Everything is good, no more latecy, no more packet lost.

On of my PTP link is a pair of rocket M2. on is a prism, the other is a RM2. I can't remove the airmax from this link :(

NickOlsen
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue May 15, 2018 7:02 am

Ah yes. As long as your VPLS is never crossing the RM2, Then I don't think my issue is the same as yours.

We never saw latency issues across the AF5x. Sorry!

ubikrotik
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Tue May 22, 2018 3:33 am

I have noticed hat LDP neighor of the next hops diapear and come back after 10 sec..

so the vpls interface disconnect from the router. Is there a way no troubbleshoot that behavior? LDP and MPLS on loggin dont work. FW : 6.4.1