MikroTik App

Aries16
just joined
Topic Author

Main link swap over

Mon May 14, 2018 5:31 am

Hi,

Good day everyone. Hope all is well.

I have 2 ISP provider for my network. The ISP1 is set to be the main link, then ISP2 as the failover which was set to be as a different distance .

My really concern here is how can I able to swap over the main link mark from ISP1 to ISP2. When I put same distance to both routes, ISP1 is keep recognized as the mainlink. Should I re create a new static routes for both ISP?

Thank you for your answer.

Cheers,

Aries

p3rad0x
Long time Member
Long time Member

Re: Main link swap over

Mon May 14, 2018 1:38 pm

Do you mean the failover when isp1 goes down.

If you want ISP2 to be your mainlink set the distance to 1 and and for ISP1 set distance to 2

sri2007
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon May 14, 2018 4:21 pm

Hi! Is there any dynamic routing protocol between your providers and your router, probably BGP??; If not, and you're using only static routes, there is an option called check-gateway, where you can configure kind of smart static routes, where the router is always pinging the destination address, and when it becomes unreachable, then the router disable that route and your second static route in the same routing table but with a higher distance will become active. There are also different ways of doing this, inclusive with a recursive static routing in the middle, where you configure a couple of routes but the check-gateway is used to ping an IP located in the world, not only the gateway, which can help you to identify if your provider has issues on its backbone.

Aries16
just joined
Topic Author

Tue May 15, 2018 4:03 am

Thanks for your thoughts and reply - I did the same thing. I'm just confirming if I did the right thing though.