Community discussions

MikroTik App

SL4Y3R1989
just joined
Topic Author

OSPF overrides Static Route

Wed May 23, 2018 1:08 pm

Good day Everyone.

i have an issue that i cant seem to resolve.

my current setup is based on ospf via backbone area. all is working fine.

my setup is: core router as R1, R2 for Client PPPOE access, R3 for Client PPPOE Access and R4 aslo for the same.

tipology: R2 and R3 is connected to R1 via Fibre. R2 and R3 connected via Wireless PTP. R4 and R3 connected via Wireless PTP.

i have setup backbone across all routers with static gateways: R2->R1, R3->R1, R2->R3 and viceversa for backup and R4->R3.

i currently implementing a new ospf rule to route traffic from R4 via R3->R2->R1 as R3 has maxed its bandwidth as an temp solution for our clients on R4.

once ive implemented the ospf from R2 to R3, all traffic from R3 goes through R2 instead of straight to R1 via the fibre.

my issue is why is the new OSPF overriding the static route from R3->R1 and pushing R3 traffic to R2, R4 still goes through R3->R1.

please can anyone help or assist regarding this issue.

sri2007
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: OSPF overrides Static Route

Wed May 23, 2018 4:18 pm

Hi, if I'm understanding you, you're trying to configure an OSPF Traffic Engineering solution? If not, I'll check the costs in the entire topology, and probably remove any static route in the middle...

SL4Y3R1989
just joined
Topic Author

Wed May 23, 2018 4:31 pm

thanks for the quick response.

basically what i need is just to route the traffic from R4 via the route of R3->R2->R1 with the existing ospf configuration.

or is there a way to load balance R3 via R1 and R2 with out masquerade?

with R4 and R3 our link to R1 is fully utilized. so if there is a way to load balance all traffic on R3 eg. 75% to R1 and 25% to R2.

if i enable masquerade, our clients doesnt get queued for contention purposes and will be free for all.

any suggestions will be highly appreciated

sri2007
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed May 23, 2018 5:28 pm

Well, you can configure an entire OSPF scenario without any NAT in the middle... you can also do a load balancing scenario with ECMP (Equal Cost MultiPath) but everything is related with OSPF, I think that you'll only need to find the perfect design with the exact costs at each interface.