Community discussions

MikroTik App

JoeTorr
just joined
Topic Author

MPLS/VPLS between Remote Multiple MikroTik devices

Wed May 23, 2018 8:16 pm

Hello. Good day everyone. Currently I am finding the need to run MPLS/VPLS on my MikroTik devices but so far have been unsuccessful for the most part. The reason I think is because all the MikroTik devices are on remote locations on different networks. At each location I have a router to provide for that entire LAN and then behind the router I install the MikroTik. That setup I have for all my locations. Now when trying to create the MPLS/VPLS I see most examples show the devices when they are interconnected so it is easier. Any one has done MPLS/VPLS with all remote devices, that belong to different networks, to one centralized MikroTik?
The only way I get it to work is by building GRE tunnels form MikroTik to MikroTik but once I do that then the highest bandwidth I get is 10M so it would seem that GRE is limiting the bandwidth when passing VPLS over it. If anyone has any ideas or suggestions then it would be greatly appreciated.

Location A Location B
172.16.0.2 172.16.0.1/24 BGP 172.16.1.1/24 172.16.1.2
MikroTik ---------Router -----------Core Network---------- Router ------ MikroTik

Thanks,
Joe

sri2007
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: MPLS/VPLS between Remote Multiple MikroTik devices

Thu May 31, 2018 5:07 pm

Hi, i think that you'll need to config MPLS over the entire network, which includes your Core routers, if you set up a GRE tunnel, and then the VPLS over that GRE, the header can be so high and that's why you're experimenting that slowness.

JoeTorr
just joined
Topic Author

Re: MPLS/VPLS between Remote Multiple MikroTik devices

Thu May 31, 2018 5:49 pm

Hello,
Ok that makes sense of what could be causing the slowness. Is there any other way to achieve tunnels from remote MikroTik to a next remote MikroTik without modifying anything in the core and having good bandwidth results? The idea is to bypass any core devices and have direct end to end connectivity.

Thanks,
Joe