Community discussions

Wolfraider
Topic Author

Failover Design

Wed May 30, 2018 5:57 pm

We are working on a new design for our wireless network. We are working on converting our backhauls over to MPLS/OSPF and a meshed design. This works great for failover internally. The biggest hurdle we have is the design of the failover of our upstream providers. We have 2 upstream links, one on each side of our network. We though about using VPLS or EoIP tunnels from our tower APs to each core router. Since the core routers at each edge are geographically separated it does not appear we can use VRRP. We tested creating 2 EoIP tunnels and create a bonded interface but the failover between the upstream links was around 5 minutes. We are hoping to get the failover at around 30 seconds. Any one have any good ideas to implement failover in this scenario?

IPANetEngineer
Trainer
Trainer

Re: Failover Design

Wed May 30, 2018 6:36 pm

If you can go into more detail on what "failover" is needed exactly, we can probably give you a more accurate answer. Are you trying to use the same public subnet at two different locations?

This article I wrote may be helpful:

http://www.stubarea51.net/2018/04/23/wi ... c-subnets/
Global - MikroTik Support & Consulting - English | Francais | Español | Portuguese +1 855-645-7684
https://iparchitechs.com/services/mikro ... l-support/ mikrotiksupport@iparchitechs.com

Wolfraider
Topic Author

Thu May 31, 2018 5:24 am

Sorry about that. I meant to put in more detail but had a quick service call come up.

We want all our traffic to go out upstream 1 with the public IP addresses. If we lose upstream 1 or any back hauls running to it we want the tunnel to fail over to upstream 2 on the other side of the network and use a NATed address. It's not ideal but better than nothing. We are working on getting our own ASN but that is probably a year down the road. Both upstream connections are with different providers.

upstream 1----core 1------MPLS------AP------MPLS------core 2-----upstream 2

Wolfraider
Topic Author

Thu May 31, 2018 5:41 am

This may be my tired brain thinking way too hard and not seeing things clearly. I am wondering if I could setup a VPLS tunnel between the 2 core routers and run VRRP between them. Maybe a really bad idea, lol cant think. Headed to bed.