Community discussions

MikroTik App

victorsoares
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

BGP Bonding

Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:51 pm

Hello everyone, and thanks in advance for any help.

I have two BGP sessions on my CCR 1072 for redundancy. Right now I have a script working that deactivates BGP-2 if BGP-1 has ping. I don't like this solution because it screws with my history. And I don't think that is the way to go anyway.

Is it possible to run a bonding with two BGP's, given that they come each from a different VLAN? Is it going to be stable? How would I configure that?

Thanks again people, have a great day!

Cha0s
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: BGP Bonding

Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:50 pm

Why use bonding when you have 2 BGP peers?

Keep them both connected and use Routing Filters to manage which BGP peer has priority (or whatever policy you want).
If your peers both connect to the same remote AS then you can look into MED (multi exit discriminator).

Also no need to check for pings... just set up proper keepalive/hold timers on your peers (in accordance to what they have on the remote side) so they will go down in an acceptable amount of time when the physical link goes down and thus failover to the second peer.

victorsoares
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:33 pm

I've tried routing, but for some reason when I enabled full route with BGP CPU usage on my CCR went up and eventually crashed. I found that having two BGP's running full route at the same time is too much for the poor thing.

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:33 pm

When you have only a single peer it does not make sense to run full route table...
When you have two peers it could be, but when it is only for redundancy then not.
Try to accept only default route in your incoming filters.

sri2007
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:06 pm

Hi, I think that you'll need to do some filters at the output chain by setting some BGP attributes and only allowing a single default route as filter in the input-chain, that will work for you.

victorsoares
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:47 pm

I'll try that, thanks for the help!