MikroTik App

gius64
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

BGP loosing prefixes on one peer

Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:33 am

Hello,
I have a CCR1072-1G-8S+ connected to four routers.

Port 1: Provider1 - BGP Peer with full internet routing table accepted (another CCR1072)
Port 2: Provider2 - BGP Peer with default route only
Port 3: Our location #1, BGP Peer with some prefix announced (less than 20)
Port 4: Our location #2, BGP Peer with some prefix announced (less than 20)

I have an issue on this router, only with Provider1 BGP Peer, which is a CCR1072 (it’s not controlled by me) that sends me the full routing table.

Sometimes I lost some prefix. Normally it’s about ~698000 prefixes, but suddenly it drops down to ~200k or less, and then rise up. Sometimes the problem fixes itself in some minutes, other times I have to wait more than 10 minutes, or terminate the BGP Peer and re-initialize it.

I put a script on my router to log this issue and I had this issue this night at 02:02. Prefixes dropped to 637085 and then to less than ~250k, and then rise up again up to ~670k, and then drops down again to ~500k.

I’ve then terminated the BGP peer connection and re-initialized it, and slowly, very very slowly, from 02:18 to 02:35 (so about 18 minutes), it recovered all prefixes.

I noticed that CPU was 100% while doing that and when it lost prefixes, so that’s why it required 18 minutes to load the full routing table.

I had full routing table also on Provider2 before, and I didn’t have this issue with them. I filtered the full routing table from them because I don’t need it, and I only use Provider1 full routing table to send all traffic to them except the routes they don’t send to me, which I send using the default to Provider2.

I asked Provider1 to check their CCR1072, and they said they have another client on that router with the same configuration as mine, and he doesn’t have this issue.

So it seems to be a problem of my CCR1072, but what is the issue that is causing this?

I had this issue before using 6.39.3, and I upgraded to 6.40.8 (bugfix), without solving it.

I really don’t know what to do, but I need to solve this issue.

Can you help me please?

Thank you