MikroTik App

amt
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

Which area for PPPoE Server ?

Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:32 pm

Hi All,
I have just passing from bridged network to a fully routed network with ospf, I keeped pppoe server's on backbone area... should i use stub area for pppoe server's ? or they should in backbone are ? I use backbone area for pppoe_server ip and loopback ip. and Im using that command below for customer's pppoe_client ip range on server;
/routing ospf area add area-id=0.0.0.1 name=pppoe1 type=stub  inject-summary-lsas=yes
/routing ospf network add area=pppoe1 network=100.64.15.0/24
/routing ospf area range add advertise=yes area=pppoe1 range=100.64.15.0/24
/routing ospf interface add interface=all passive=yes
Thanks.
Last edited by amt on Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anumrak
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Which area for PPPoE Server ?  [SOLVED]

Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:18 pm

It can be done on ASBR router in order to realease cusomer's ppp tunnels traffic from your AS right to the Internet.

amt
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

Re: Which area for PPPoE Server ?

Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:09 pm

It can be done on ASBR router in order to realease cusomer's ppp tunnels traffic from your AS right to the Internet.
sorry I dont understand, can you explain it more ?

mducharme
Trainer
Trainer

Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:01 am

Yes, you should use a stub area for PPPoE. We have multiple concentrators in different places and so we use a stub area on each, we have the router ID double as the area ID for the stub area so that we don't need to separately track the stub areas. Do not put the customers in the backbone or you will get customer /32's sent as LSA's creating too many routing updates on connection or disconnection of customers. Having the loopback and other non-PPPoE things in the backbone area on the same router is fine.

nichky
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:17 am

if you want to sleep better, play with totally stub area :)

amt
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:21 am

Yes, you should use a stub area for PPPoE. We have multiple concentrators in different places and so we use a stub area on each, we have the router ID double as the area ID for the stub area so that we don't need to separately track the stub areas. Do not put the customers in the backbone or you will get customer /32's sent as LSA's creating too many routing updates on connection or disconnection of customers. Having the loopback and other non-PPPoE things in the backbone area on the same router is fine.
Hi mducharme,
I will create rules for put the customers to stub area as below, I use this on pppoe_server's
/routing ospf area add area-id=0.0.0.1 name=pppoe1 type=stub  inject-summary-lsas=yes
/routing ospf network add area=pppoe1 network=100.64.15.0/24
/routing ospf area range add advertise=yes area=pppoe1 range=100.64.15.0/24
/routing ospf interface add interface=all passive=yes
Now ppoe_server's on backbone area, and you suggest me that I should keep them at stub area, am I true ? I will try to draw some diagram to show better

Thanks

nichky
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:35 am

inject-summary-lsas=no

amt
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:59 am

if you want to sleep better, play with totally stub area :)
working on to sleep better :)

amt
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:00 am

inject-summary-lsas=no
Thanks nichky I will change it.

amt
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:04 am

here is small diagram for show better I hope it will help to undestand.
Network Diagram.jpg

On here area1 type is default, is better to use type stub in here ?

thanks all for your helps
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

nichky
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:49 am

Do you know what a difference between default and stub and totally stubby area? Which types goes through areas,which no? and whats the goal?
The answer will be dependent what you want to do

https://networklessons.com/ospf/ospf-ls ... explained/

amt
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:04 pm

Do you know what a difference between default and stub and totally stubby area? Which types goes through areas,which no? and whats the goal?
The answer will be dependent what you want to do

https://networklessons.com/ospf/ospf-ls ... explained/
I want full connectivity with backbone are from all of the other areas, cause ppoe_server on backbone are, and I sent ppppoe connections to pppoe server over eoip.

nichky
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:19 pm

How you mean "and I sent ppppoe connections to pppoe server over eoip."

just keep in mind all non backbone MUST be connected to backbone area, otherwise you have to play with virtual link.

amt
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:07 am

How you mean "and I sent ppppoe connections to pppoe server over eoip."
On Ap's I create eoip tunnel betwen AP and pppoe_server and I sent customers pppoe_client connections over this eoip to pppoe_server
just keep in mind all non backbone MUST be connected to backbone area, otherwise you have to play with virtual link.
all of them as like this

amt
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:17 am

can I use totally stub area for area1 ?

amt
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:23 pm

any help ?

Anumrak
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:46 pm

Of course you can if it's stub. If it's has no exit to any other places except backbone. Also if area1 has only one uplink, you can use totally stub area, to loose all specific routes.

amt
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:37 pm

Of course you can if it's stub. If it's has no exit to any other places except backbone. Also if area1 has only one uplink, you can use totally stub area, to loose all specific routes.
thanks Anumrak,
how many router can be one area in ospf, is there any limitation ? cause I changed this area1 to stup and there is nearly 80 router.
and pppoe_server should be stub area also ? should i create new stub area at backbone roter and put the pppoe_server to this area ?

Thanks

Anumrak
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:18 pm

thanks Anumrak,
how many router can be one area in ospf, is there any limitation ? cause I changed this area1 to stup and there is nearly 80 router.
and pppoe_server should be stub area also ? should i create new stub area at backbone roter and put the pppoe_server to this area ?

Thanks
"should i create new stub area at backbone roter and put the pppoe_server to this area" - yes, only because of saving routers energy for recalculations of SPF.

Official Cisco limitation is 100 routers, but in reality I saw not more that tens.

amt
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:44 pm

Thanks for your help;
"should i create new stub area at backbone roter and put the pppoe_server to this area" - yes, only because of saving routers energy for recalculations of SPF.
I will create new pppoe_serever and put it new are and test to see results, cause I have 5 pppoe_server on system and all of them in backbone area.
Official Cisco limitation is 100 routers, but in reality I saw not more that tens.
you mean that, its not stable when pass 10 routers in one area ? I think I have more than 70 router in one area(prefer to use totally stub).
I will re configure my network if that make me problem.

thanks again for sharing your experience....

Anumrak
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:56 am

It depends how often your network changing thier routes and links. If pretty often - 70 routers is bad idea. If not often at all - let it be. Also you have to assign DR and BDR in your area manually as most "strongest" routers.

amt
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:55 am

It depends how often your network changing thier routes and links. If pretty often - 70 routers is bad idea. If not often at all - let it be.
routes not changing on this routers to much but I will divide them to multi area at backbone router as your suggest, if you look the diagram that I shared only powerbox as ospf router. I did not set ospf on other SXT's.. if we calculate routers which are installed ospf on them maximum 70 on one totally stub area, I did not install OSPF to all others are AP(SXT)
Also you have to assign DR and BDR in your area manually as most "strongest" routers.
on bgp router I use nat all ip's and ospf also intalled on it. using static route on it may better but after bgp router I have two another backbone router and some ip's that assigned by radius for customer client ip's may at different locations at different times. can I route Ip to two backbone routes's at same time. Likle;
add distance=1 dst-address=10.10.0.0/24 gateway=10.10.10.14,10.10.10.222

Anumrak
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:57 am

It depends how often your network changing thier routes and links. If pretty often - 70 routers is bad idea. If not often at all - let it be.
routes not changing on this routers to much but I will divide them to multi area at backbone router as your suggest, if you look the diagram that I shared only powerbox as ospf router. I did not set ospf on other SXT's.. if we calculate routers which are installed ospf on them maximum 70 on one totally stub area, I did not install OSPF to all others are AP(SXT)
Also you have to assign DR and BDR in your area manually as most "strongest" routers.
on bgp router I use nat all ip's and ospf also intalled on it. using static route on it may better but after bgp router I have two another backbone router and some ip's that assigned by radius for customer client ip's may at different locations at different times. can I route Ip to two backbone routes's at same time. Likle;
Yes, if they are reachable as a next-hop.

amt
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:00 pm

Thanks Anumrak for all your help and thanks for others forum users for their help also.. I will re configure and see the results.

Anumrak
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:13 pm

What you wrote here is callled load balancing which is default setting of OSPF.(EIGRP can do it with unequal bandwidth links with 3 and more directions :))

amt
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:08 am

I divided area1 which is had 170 device and more than 70 router ospf installed. to 4 different area but now I faced with new problem :=) I used area ranges for summarize network.. and now I couldn't find how I will summarize them again, because I use 3 diffident /24 ip range and all of them at different areas.

Anumrak
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:21 pm

I divided area1 which is had 170 device and more than 70 router ospf installed. to 4 different area but now I faced with new problem :=) I used area ranges for summarize network.. and now I couldn't find how I will summarize them again, because I use 3 diffident /24 ip range and all of them at different areas.
Choose a good place for ABR and do summarization.

amt
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:59 am

I Think I should open new topic for this... :) thanks for all your help

Anumrak
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:05 pm