Community discussions

mucllarid1
just joined
Topic Author

How to limit a VPN user's data rate?

Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:51 pm

Hey Everyone,

I need to give a third party access to my network through VPN. I have the user created and the VPN works fine. I am just having issues figuring out how to cap this user's data capacity. Anyone know how I could accomplish this? I would like to limit this user to 5-10 Mbps when VPN'd into my MikroTik. The reason I need to limit them is because the user will have access to camera feeds so if they start streaming a lot of cameras, their data transmission will skyrocket and use a lot of the internet's bandwidth. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

xvo
Long time Member
Long time Member

Re: How to limit a VPN user's data rate?

Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:57 pm

There is rate-limit setting in ppp profile.
Or the ability to create a queue autimatically.

mucllarid1
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:06 pm

There is rate-limit setting in ppp profile.
Or the ability to create a queue autimatically.
Thanks! Yeah I found that setting. I'm having other issues now, but think I'm all set with the MikroTik configuration.

mucllarid1
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:01 pm

I've figured out how to set the limits for the VPN user. Now if I log in as that user and exceed the limit the VPN connection drops. Is there anyway that I can keep the VPN connection established, but drop packets instead?

xvo
Long time Member
Long time Member

Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:07 pm

I've figured out how to set the limits for the VPN user. Now if I log in as that user and exceed the limit the VPN connection drops. Is there anyway that I can keep the VPN connection established, but drop packets instead?
Use the second option I mentioned - dynamically created queues, configured on the next tab right there in the ppp profile.

mucllarid1
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:34 pm

Use the second option I mentioned - dynamically created queues, configured on the next tab right there in the ppp profile.
I appreciate your help so far. I created a simple queue limiting upload/download at 10M for the specific VPN connection. However once I connect with that VPN user and stream 9 cameras, i get more than 10 Mbps easily. So I do not think I set up the rule properly. Check out this picture.
Simple-Queue.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

xvo
Long time Member
Long time Member

Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:22 pm

I appreciate your help so far. I created a simple queue limiting upload/download at 10M for the specific VPN connection. However once I connect with that VPN user and stream 9 cameras, i get more than 10 Mbps easily. So I do not think I set up the rule properly. Check out this picture.

Simple-Queue.PNG
Just tried it, with l2tp works as it should.

Do you see any traffic matching the queue?
I think you need to create a static "PPTP Server Binding" for this user to use as a queue target.

Or you can try automatically created queues from ppp --> profiles --> profile --> queue tab

mucllarid1
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:59 pm

Simple-Queue.PNG
Just tried it, with l2tp works as it should.

Do you see any traffic matching the queue?
I think you need to create a static "PPTP Server Binding" for this user to use as a queue target.

Or you can try automatically created queues from ppp --> profiles --> profile --> queue tab
Got it working properly now. Thanks for your help!

xvo
Long time Member
Long time Member

Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:45 pm

Got it working properly now. Thanks for your help!
Great! You are welcome :)