MikroTik App

kokaKorina
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

OSPF load balancing

Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:23 pm

Hello everyone
we are moving our wisp from static to ospf and we also want load balancing but I just started working for this company(I had cisco background) there are alot of confusions for me, first is we have two ips on one interface one public and one private,all our customers are on public ip we are not using any NAT at all.In our ring topology if use ospf is it gonna do load balancing too or we have to do it someother way I had looked on google and the only thing I found is magling or marking the packets but we have so many towers is there anyotherway .I am going to attach the topology(ip addresses are just for example) to show what we are looking for.
all replies are appreciated
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Ape
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: OSPF load balancing

Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:09 pm

Hi,

it's totally possible with MikroTik and OSPF.

Have a look at this great talk:

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFZz2z6RdQY
Presentation: https://mum.mikrotik.com/presentations/ ... 062656.pdf

Regards,
Ape

kokaKorina
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:29 pm

Hi Ape,
I also have pppoe server running on each routers interfaces except the ether 1 is it gonna effect that pppoe and do i have to add those pppoe(public ips) to the networks for ospf too?
thanks

Anumrak
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:59 am

Hi Ape,
I also have pppoe server running on each routers interfaces except the ether 1 is it gonna effect that pppoe and do i have to add those pppoe(public ips) to the networks for ospf too?
thanks
It depends entirely on your architectural solution. I would not drive client services through ospf. Use mpls + mp/bgp.

kokaKorina
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:25 pm

Thanks anumark
but I have my clients on pppoe and the interfaces on which they are connected is acting as pppoe server for them and they all are on public ip addresses so if I put all those ip addresses on the ospf network too will it work?I am attaching a topology diagram for that .I would appreciate your reply.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Ape
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:25 pm

Hi

It depends entirely on your architectural solution. I would not drive client services through ospf. Use mpls + mp/bgp.

I second this. Use MPLS/VPLS and centralize your PPPoE dialins to one server.
MPLS should be the transport layer for your customer's traffic.

It would be possible to just use the public IP adresses in OSPF, but this setup lacks flexibility for future expansion.

Regards,
Ape

kokaKorina
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:21 pm

Hi Ape,
I know the problem with this architecture but the thing for just right now i need to setup ospf and i am trying to put iBGP over ospf but the problem I am having is just pppoe and I do not want to move them to centralized location So if i just configure ospf and add pppoe addresses to network for ospf too is it not gonna work?
Thanks

bbs2web
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:06 pm

We exclusively use OSPF to distribute router's loopback IPs and necessary point to point or broadcast IPs to reach the loopbacks. All customer, peer or IXP routes are distributed using iBGP route reflectors.

I've detailed the structure in another post, which you can reference here:
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=42268&p=688104#p688104

PS: MPLS forwarding only selects one of the OSPF ECMP paths though, you could leave off LDP and benefit from load sharing or leave as is to transport MPLS frames through a simple OSPF core.

kokaKorina
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:54 pm

Thanks everyone