Community discussions

MikroTik App

ckgth
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

should i replace CCR1072 with baltic vengangce? 1072 with 5 full feeds only 5 Gbps?

Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:46 pm

Hello There,

currently we have an 1072 and 5 Upliks (eatch full feed).
Currently we have BGC 1072 in use. I wonder if it makes sense to replace them with Baltic vengance routers.
Even with the 71 cores, it often happens that the individual cores are fully utilized for a full time, even though others are burdened with about 1 to 3%.
Especially in the evening we have traffic of about 4-5 Gbps.
Now the baltic router is only supplied with intel core i7 cpu. Does not an i9 cpu make more sense here?
What do you use for this number of uplinks and traffic?
Can one expect a better utilization of all cores in the CCR 1072 in the near future of RouterOS? Maybe after the MUM in Vienna?

cheers
Christian

itcoop
just joined

Re: should i replace CCR1072 with baltic vengangce? 1072 with 5 full feeds only 5 Gbps?

Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:47 pm

If you are not doing anything fancy with BGP communities, filters, etc., you should be fine. I'm in the same boat as you right now. My decision is to replace with Vengeance because I want to reduce fate sharing and split the core which will allow me to physically scale geographically.

As for "better utilization" of cores for BGP processing, this issue is not specific to Mikrotik's implementation. I've haven't found many vendors that truly run multithreaded BGP; even those that do seem to find other architectural ways around the single-threaded bottleneck of the BGP process:
https://www.researchgate.net/publicatio ... ion_Router

It seems that the CCRs tilera was designed to push packets quickly from interface to interface using cpu; this offers flexibility and power at the edge but does nothing for single threaded vertical processes (BGP). I don't expect this to be top-of-mind for future development.

So, running BGP on a CCR was not my best use case - my original core design wasn't my most scalable BGP use case either.

Happy routing!

ckgth
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Re: should i replace CCR1072 with baltic vengangce? 1072 with 5 full feeds only 5 Gbps?

Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:54 pm

Hi,

Argh. Quagga is not for me. Filters and Community is use. On All uplinks. On 4gbit/s is the end near...
I will still use mt.
I will Look at mum in Vienna for „baltic“ Router and his Speed. I Hope, that there use better intel i9 because i7. I7 is 2 years old...

Cheers.
Christian

Murmaider
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:12 am

Hi,

Argh. Quagga is not for me. Filters and Community is use. On All uplinks. On 4gbit/s is the end near...
I will still use mt.
I will Look at mum in Vienna for „baltic“ Router and his Speed. I Hope, that there use better intel i9 because i7. I7 is 2 years old...

Cheers.
Christian
Why not put together your own supermicro server with 10G interfaces and get software like 6Wind turbo router which supports dpdk?

ckgth
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:10 pm

because I wanted to have a proven, good running solution that I can rely on at BGP. No DIY. Unfortunately, no such router was to be found on the MUM. Also from MT there was nothing new. Very sad ...

jrpaz
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:18 pm

because I wanted to have a proven, good running solution that I can rely on at BGP. No DIY. Unfortunately, no such router was to be found on the MUM. Also from MT there was nothing new. Very sad ...
I know the feeling last year at MUM we were looking for something similar and found nothing.
I’m just going to sit back and wait to see if MT delivers if not I’ll find another solution. I don’t want to but if they don’t provide one so be it.

Paternot
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:19 pm

Well, You can always run a CHR instance - this way You get a powerful x86 CPU to handle the single threaded BGP.

I know, I know. It isn't an "off the shelf" solution - but it's close enough, and You can always use server grade hardware. Also, VMs are easier to backup and migrate to new hardware. :D